II

Vi springs to the balcony first. I follow along with Powder then Mylo and Claggor. I nudge milo closer to the door as he mumbles something. I ignore it and watch him pick the lock. He takes out a long metal stick and shoves it in the door.

"Whew, there's tons of enforcers down there." Claggor leans over the railing.

"Means we're in the right place," Vi says. "You gonna get that door open anytime soon?"

"Working on it," Milo says. "Seeing as I'm the only one who knows how to pick locks, I suggest..."

I interrupt him by kicking the door open.

"Looks like it was unlocked." I smile as Milo mumbles insults.

"Load up boys and girls." Vi grins as she rushes over to a bookshelf.

"You know Claggor, your right for once. We are definitely not supposed to be here." Mylo laughs at Claggor.

Everyone begins to shove metal trinkets in Vi's pack. I rummage through drawers and shelves and find blueprints for extravagant inventions. My mind wants to study every one of them and memorize their patterns and uses.

"Must be an inventor," Vi says, staring at a chalkboard full of blueprints and calculations.

Their conversation fades out as I travel down the hall. I find myself in a small office of sorts full of papers and books and files. Two sandwiches sit on top of a blueprint propped up on something.

I brush the sandwiches and blueprints aside. A blue and gold chest lays beneath them. I feel around the sides and find a raised button. I press it and hear gears turn and click. My breath leaves my body as six glowing gems stare up at me. I carefully pluck one from the box and examine it between my fingers.

"Woah, what's that?" Powder nudges me with the discarded sandwich in her hand.

"Okay, one that's disgusting," I slap the sandwich from her hand, "Two, I'm not sure." I hand her the gemstone and smile as she stares in awe.

"Powder, Evelyn, come on we gotta go." I hear Vi down the hall.

A low voice yells from the hall and my stomach drops. Vi barricades the door and gestures to Mylo and Claggor. The man tries breaking down the door. I quickly pluck the rest of the gems from the box and hand then to Powder. She stuffs them in her pocket, and I lead her down the hall. One clatters to the ground. Powder turns to retrieve it, but I push her forward.

"No time, we gotta go now," I whisper.

I pull Powder out the balcony door before the building explodes. My feet fly off the ground and I hear screams below. I crash into the railing and hear the building groan. The air is whisked from my lungs, and I cough as I attempt to suck in air. Rocks begin to fall as I scramble to my feet. My side aches and my lungs struggle to regain breath.

"Hold on." Vi orders.

An opening is made on the balcony. Vi curses as sirens blare. Thundering horns blow, sending me into a panic. We take off around the balcony. The world flies fast past us in a blur. Enforcers yell for us to stop, they throw things at us. They match our steps as we run.

"Faster!" Vi yells.

My legs burn and my breath hitches. We make it over the bridge. I pull Powder alongside me, worrying she will be left behind. We're closer to the undercity. Come on just a little farther. We sprint down an alleyway. My shoulder slams into the stone as we run. The clank of metal sounds behind my head as the enforcers throw a capturing device.

"Holy, shit." I grunt and curl my arms over my head.

We round a bend and Vi stops us with a hand. My feet skid to a stop as Vi grabs a sewer lid. I help her pull it away. I ignore the complaints of Milo and Claggor and hop down. The pipe is just large enough for all of us. My back slides against the slick pipe. The stench of waste burns my nostrils as we slide. I cross my arms over my chest and hold my body stiff. Gunk flies all over me as I twist and turn. I can't help but grin as the speed whisks my hair from my face.