I

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul, I say you can see more than a soul. Through the eyes you can see desires and love, or pain and suffering. I see the latter in my brother's eyes now. His lilac eyes are cold, like stone. My fingers caress the side of his face, I smooth back his hair, he always liked it tidy.

"Alex," I sob.

That was his name, Alex. Alex wanted to be an inventor, he wanted to help the undercity. He wanted to create something no one had ever had the courage to think of, he never had the chance to even study in piltover.

My hands grasp his collar. My hand slackens and something cold pricks my finger tip. I look down and see a shard of glass in his side as long as my forearm, protruding from between his ribs. I gasp and my body goes tense. I feel tears stuck in my throat. I grip the glass and pull; a grunt of effort escapes my throat, slipping past the tears. I fly backwards as the glass comes free.

The sharp glass is a comfort in my palm as well as a burden. A shaky breath enters my lungs as I glance at my surroundings. The once blue sky has turned red through the soot and grime. The smog of the undercity wraps its cold hands around my neck like a noose. My legs shake beneath me as cold hands clamp over my mouth and neck.

My body spasms as I am locked in place. I crane my neck and see the familiar demon, gold helmet and air filter over it's mouth. I scream and kick as I try to make my way back to Alex's body. I throw myself to the ground. The skin on my hands sting as they slap the cold stone beneath me, and I roll forward. Three more enforcers emerge from the rubble. They advance.

I duck beneath the first one's arms and kick him. He face-plants into wood scraps. The second comes at me with a knife. I step back slightly as he swings and misses. The blade flies in front of my face and I hook my elbow beneath his armpit and assist gravity by bringing him down. I hear the breath leave his lungs as the third comes with his fists raised. We exchange punches and it becomes a rhythm. Punch punch block punch kick punch punch block punch kick. Over and over again.

My stomach burns and my eyes are blurry. Blood coats my mouth from my gushing nose. The metal taste does nothing to calm the buzzing in my body. My breaths are uneven and short. My body wants to give into the possibility of rest. A thought enters my mind, what if they take me to piltover. I shake the thought from my head. The only place they would take me is to Stillwater prison. I stumble in a circle as they surround me.

Hopelessness echoes in my chest I should have stayed in the rubble beside Alex. Not made a sound. Died in the fire. Died with my family. My mother, her soft smile and warm hands. My father, his rugged laugh and crooked smile. My brother, with his stories that could keep you on your toes. All gone, burnt to ash. All because we wanted past the barricade to piltover. 

As my legs give out beneath me the ground begins to shake. I glance behind one of the enforcers. A large man with iron fists pummels a pile of something. He roars in agony when he looks behind him. Two girls stand side by side with their arms wrapped around one another. The pair slide to the ground and the man looks at his hands.

"Help." I holler. "Please."

I earn a punch to the jaw. My body flies to the ground and sparks fly in front of my eyes. The stone bridge is cold beneath my fingertips. The world sways in front of my eyes as I see a large blob move towards us. The man stomps over and the enforcers flee. The man discards his iron hands and scoops me up in his arms as the world slips away.

———
A few years later

My hands slip on the rock of the building. I pull myself up with ease over the side. The fresh topside air slides easily through my lungs. I hear the groans of the others beneath me as I glance down. Vi is close behind me and Powder is above Mylo and Claggor. A small chuckle slides like silk through my lips.