Chapter 4

Rumours are actually quite a powerful thing believe it or not. Some people consider themselves 'mature' by not listening to rumours, but at the end of the day whatever they've heard about someone or something always lingers in the back of their mind, affecting any decision they make regarding said topic, whether they're conscious of it, or not.

I, of course, speak from experience. Coming from a family like mine, rumours practically make up a life for you just for the outside world. It could be, and almost always is, the complete opposite of the truth, but that doesn't make a difference.

At the age of four, when Macy Lockwood came up to me and told me Jeremy Cole was a werewolf disguised as a human so he could eat us, I had experienced my first rumour. The news of Jeremy being a werewolf spread across our entire kindergarten class and also reached a couple older kids too. I have a faint memory of him crying by himself while he ate his lunch under a leafless tree as kids whispered and pointed in his direction as if he were a zoo animal. It was also then when I realised that all people do is lie, they lie and lie and lie just to make themselves and others feel better about themselves.

Since the age of four I've always been a little wary on what I heard from the kids at school, even the teachers. I'd always come home and ask my mom, the person I trusted the absolute most, about everything the teachers told me that day just to verify that piece of information. I'd ask her whether or not Mr Newton was telling the truth when he said dinosaurs lived on this earth once upon a time. It was quite bizarre to me that there was life long before my existence and that too of creatures that looked so...frightening.

Some may call it psychotic, or weird, or simply stupid, but my four year old self didn't want to see anyone or myself in the same situation as Jeremy Cole. It was unfair. That's where the trust issues started.

I guess that didn't age very well considering my father was in the business world. The most corrupt and deceitful part of life where rumours were thrown left, right, and centre with absolutely no remorse. I learnt that the hard way. The hard way being listening to my mothers sobs at odd times in the night when I wanted a cuddle because Oscar wasn't doing a good enough job, or watching her eyes glued to her phone almost as though she was waiting for something, anything.

"Miss Quin if I have to say your name once more I will be sending you to the principals office." Martha, my chemistry teacher, said angrily as I turned away from the window and gave her a bored look.

Convinced that I was paying somewhat attention to her, she turned back to the half asleep students and continued explaining god knows what. For someone that wants to do medicine and needs chemistry for it, I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on half the time. I'm surprised I've even made it this far.

Martha is one of the handful of teachers that doesn't give me the pity niceness. Judge me all you want, but the pity niceness is actually very helpful and I take as much advantage of it as I can. After the incident two years ago and then again last year, my teachers all decided how traumatic the whole situation was for me and quite literally let me fly through their class despite being absent half the time. Now, I know you're all going to judge me for me, but I couldn't care less. I have, and will continue to, take advantage of all the sympathy I can get. It comes in handy.

"I expect this entire booklet completed by Monday morning." She announced as everyone let out a loud groan showing their clear dislike for her unnecessarily large amount of homework. "Groan all you like, if I see a single question unanswered I'll be making you do it all again." She threatened before finally dismissing us all.

I didn't bother rushing to get out knowing I wouldn't get too far considering the crowded hallway. Instead, I took my time putting away my blank notebook and unused pen before zipping my bag close and dug my phone out of my pocket. I spent a couple minutes catching up on the latest celebrity gossip before glancing at the time and standing up from my seat.