twenty-five

Edlyn walked back and forth in the bedroom frustratedly, "It's not my fault that I find this party very annoying and loud. Even his relatives kept asking me for a discount. They should ask my father, not me. They're using me for a freaking discount!"

She took out her phone and dialled Daera's number, "Daera-yah!"

"What happened? Why?" Her friend asked worriedly. "Jake's grandparents held a party to congratulate us."

"What's wrong with that?"

Edlyn sighed and sat on the couch, "His relatives are so rude! Every time I walk into a room or go anywhere, they would ask me to give them a discount at the hospital. If they can't afford to pay for the bills, they might as well not have to dream of going there. They treat me like I'm some sort of a walking charity."

"Oh, wow, if I were you, I would be annoyed too. I mean, you're married to Jake, you want them to talk about the wedding or anything," Daera said. "I want to go home. I can't stand staying here," Edlyn whined and sighed heavily.

"Then go. Get lost," a male voice said out of the blue. She stood up and stared at Jake with startled eyes. He scoffed, "My relatives are annoying? You walk around here so proudly and then talk shit about them. Who's the one rude here?"

She hung up on the call and looked at the door, seeing Mrs Sim lowering her gaze. She closed her eyes and cursed at herself internally, did grandma hear it too?

"I'll pack my bags," she said quietly before leaving the room, bowing at Mrs Sim. Jake exhaled as he went to hug his grandmother, "She probably didn't mean any of those things she said, grandma. Don't worry about it too much."

"Maybe your uncles and aunts might have crossed the line. Maybe we should tell her to stay." Mrs Sim was about to chase after Edlyn but Jake pulled her hand, "Don't be. She needs some time to think of what she did wrong."

Edlyn packed her bags, glancing secretly at Jake who was reading a book on the bed. He was ignoring her the whole time. She exhaled tiredly and wiped her sweat, "I'm sorry for what I said earlier at the party."

Still no response. She gave up and zipped up her bags bringing them downstairs. She saw Mrs Sim in the living room drinking some tea. The old woman saw her and instantly stood up, "Sweetie, do you really have to go?"

She smiled softly, "Come visit Seoul. I'll make sure to be your tour guide."

"Jake's relatives might have been a bit annoying towards you since they're excited to find out he married the daughter of a hospital director. Especially when the hospital is well-known. I'll talk to them to not bother you. Please stay, dear."

"I'll call you later when I arrive in Seoul," was all Edlyn said before leaving the house.

She waited for the bus to arrive to bring her to the airport. The night breeze was cold and she didn't have any jacket on. She looked around and near the bus stop was just tall dark trees. She gulped in fear and prayed to God that nothing was going to happen to her that night.

Her heart started beating quickly when she heard a scary male voice calling her for help, "Please, help me."

She looked to her left and saw a bleeding man approaching her, holding his waist. She closed her eyes and was about to gag when she saw blood on his hands.

"Please... I've been stabbed," he begged again, crying.

Is this how you act when you said you wanted to save people, Edlyn?

She took out some tissues from her bag before rushing toward the man, "Lie down!"

The man obeyed her and groaned in pain. She took out her phone and immediately called the ambulance. "Breathe slowly, sir!" She pressed the tissue on his wound. Her hands were covered with his blood and she tried to shake the thought off. She didn't want to faint while he needed help.

"How did this happen?" She asked, still pressing the wound.

"A guy stabbed me. He ran away." He had a hard time trying to explain. After a while, an ambulance came and rushed towards them, helping her carry the man to the vehicle.

She sat at the seat next to the paramedics, "We need to hurry! He's losing a lot of blood."

She sat in the waiting area, worried for the man's life. She groaned out of annoyance when she realised she was wearing a white shirt that day. Her shirt was covered with blood, making her look like she just killed a person.

The doctor walked out of the emergency room, "Ms Park?"

She immediately stood up, "How is he?"

"Luckily, he survived and we managed to save him. We gave him stitches at the wound and he just needs to get some rest for a few days."

She thanked the doctor and walked into the room, seeing the man sleeping soundly. She smiled, "Because of you, I get to overcome my fear of blood. I guess. Rest well," she said before leaving the room.

She sighed as she found herself at the entrance to Mr and Mrs Sim's house. She was about to turn away but the entrance door opened, revealing Jake in a jacket. He also looked surprised seeing her there, especially when she showed up with a shirt covered in blood.

"Oh, about the blood, I just...saved a person that got stabbed just now. He's fine now by the way. In case you're wondering," she explained awkwardly. He stood to the side and motioned for her to come in.

She walked in slowly with her bags, "I'll leave tomorrow. I just needed a place to stay for the night."

"It was selfish of me to ask you to leave. Just stay. I don't mind," he said before leaving the house.