fifteen

Jay parked his car at the side of the road near the cemetery. Edlyn got out and looked at the entrance. A few people were standing near their loved ones' graves. She gulped in fear and entered the cemetery, approaching her mother's grave. Her mother's name and the date of her death was engraved on the gravestone.

Thunder appeared, creating a loud sound. Jay looked at the cloudy sky, "It's going to rain. Wait here, I'll get an umbrella," he said before leaving her alone at the cemetery.

She squatted down and plucked out the grass that grew on her mother's grave. "Mom, are you still mad at me?" She asked, her voice shaking nervously. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I got married by the way. His name is Sim Jake. I don't love him. He was a stranger that I met during the night of the hospital's anniversary party."

"I'm going to be a neurosurgeon, mom. Just like Jay and dad. But seeing blood reminded me of you. And it scared me because I couldn't save you when you died."

She smiled to herself, "It amazes me how I look more like you than dad. And Jay resembles dad a lot. Is that why dad takes care of me just like how he cares about you? Because I resemble you a lot?"

"Why do you keep haunting me in my sleep? Or is that just my imagination? Are you angry that I lived? I'm sorry mom, please forgive me. I didn't mean to let you die."

Jay suddenly came, holding a black umbrella above her to protect her from the raindrops. He smiled, "It's not your fault, Edlyn. Remember that."

"Get me out of here," she begged weakly and they both left the cemetery. Being there was just too overwhelming for her.

Edlyn walked to Jake's office and opened the door, assuming he was still in the emergency room. Her eyes widened when she saw Sorin and her husband kissing on the couch. They both pulled away and wiped their lips when they saw her standing at the doorway in shock.

"I was just checking to see if you're done with the surgery," Edlyn lowered her gaze. Jake cleared his throat and stood up before sitting on the chair behind his desk, "I'll be here until midnight. You should go home. I already told Jay to send you home."

"Since when were you guys a thing?" She asked. Sorin looked away shyly as she fixed her dress. Jake sighed, "You should just go."

Edlyn walked out and leaned against the door, her heart dropped at what happened just now. Too many things happened that day and unfamiliar feelings started flooding up in her chest.

She was jealous, upset, confused, shocked and more. "You both agreed to just mind your own business. So why am I upset? He can date someone else. I can love someone else."

Jay opened the door to her penthouse, turning on the lights. She walked in and sat on the couch tiredly, "A lot of things happened today. It's just too overwhelming."

He sat next to her, "Like what?" She sat up straight and looked at him, "If you marry a stranger that you don't even like, would you mind if they have an affair with someone else?"

"No. Just leave them be," he answered. She sighed, "I know right? But why am I like this? Ugh! You should go. I'm going to take a bath and then sleep."

He nodded and left the house, closing the entrance door. Heeseung's words when they were on the rooftop appeared in her mind, making her remember his advice about overcoming the fear of blood.

She took a deep breath and scurried to her room, searching for her surgery books, "I will overcome it."

After showering, she changed into a new outfit and sat on her bed as she watched videos of surgeons teaching ways to perform surgery.

A few days have passed. The sun rose, telling the people that it was already morning. Edlyn stretched herself and got ready for class. As usual, Jake would always leave first, making her wake up early to catch the bus that will take her to the university. Her class was having a test that required her to perform surgery on a cadaver.

After watching a few tutorials, she just hoped that she wouldn't faint or puke in the middle of the surgery. She put on her scrub and her coat, amazed at how she looked in them. She looked like a real doctor. She grabbed her bag and quickly ran out of the house, rushing towards the bus stop.

Students and other people were already waiting there, minding their own business. She looked around and saw an old lady who was peeling an egg, sitting on the seat next to her.

The old lady gave her the egg, "I'm sure you haven't had breakfast yet. Eat this so that you won't faint later."

Edlyn wanted to refuse but the lady forced her hand to take the egg before walking into the bus that arrived. She climbed up the bus steps before taking a seat, eating the egg quietly. She looked at the view outside.

Heeseung hummed a happy melody as he listened to the radio in his car. There was a traffic light at the front and he waited patiently for the light to turn green. A bus stopped next to his car and he looked to his left, seeing Edlyn eating an egg happily.

He chuckled and stared at her, his stomach producing butterflies. He didn't realise the light turned green and cars behind him honked angrily, annoyed that he was blocking the road. He watched the bus drive past him and he stepped on the pedal, trying to drive near the bus so that he could see her.

Why are you making me feel like this, Park Edlyn?