17. ɪ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ɪ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ

Can we, we keep, keep each other company
Maybe we, can be, be each other's company

Oh company

Let's set each other's lonely nights
Be each other's paradise

- Company, Justin Bieber (my baby daddy)

•••

"It's the excruciating pain of a heartbreak"

I was confused by his words, did something happen between him and Liz?

"Not that I would have a problem with that" my conscience made herself know

I mentally roll my eyes

"Heartbreak? Did you and Liz break up?"

"No... not necessarily"

"Dammit"

"Liz and I's relationship is not at a level where she could break my heart"

I'm surprised at how open he was being, sober Darren is way more closed off.

"Madeline Kaori Nakamura is the cause of my broken and unfixable heart. Which is pretty pathetic considering I never told her how in love with her I was. I think that's why it's so hard to mend my never ending heartache... I never got to tell her how much she truly meant to me"

My heart ached for him.

I saw tears welling up in his eyes until he closed them, took a breath, and then opened them again.

I waited for him to continue, it was my time to just listen. Especially since I know how hard it is for men to express their feelings.

"Maddie was my best friend, the love of my life, my everything. I thought I would marry her some day, but of course my brother has to ruin any good that comes into my life"

"You have a brother?"
"Yes, unfortunately. He's not worth ever mentioning"

I nodded and made a mental note:
Don't mention his brother

"Maddie had a crush on him ever since I could remember, he's 3 years older. It hurt to see her with him but she was happy, so I was happy for her. Plus it was my fault for not making a move earlier on."

"But their relationship ended up going south and they broke up after two years of dating. She was heartbroken but not for the reasons I thought she was. He was mentally abusive and unfaithful to her on multiple occasions"