Chapter 15

They got out of Crain and walked to a café on the corner of the street where the company building was. It was a surprisingly quiet and comfortable space to be in, such a different environment from the busy streets. All the noises seemed to be locked outside.

The decoration was in earthy tones and had lots of green plants that make it look like a miniature jungle. In the air floated around the smell of coffee beans mixed with the smell of freshly baked cookies. The atmosphere of the place involved everyone in a calm state of mind and opening their appetites for something sweet.

Even though the shop was very close to the company, Eleanor had never stepped foot in it. She didn't even know it existed. Somehow Sebastian did and could not have taken her to a better place for a much-needed break.

'The smell is amazing,' she said as she felt the smell of freshly grounded coffee and pastries.

'They bake everything here. You should try something.'

'What do you recommend?'

'Let's order a plate of chocolate chip cookies.'

'Are you a kid? How old are you? Five?' she mocked.

'Don't you dare to underestimate the power of chocolate chip cookies. No one is immune to them. No one.'

'Alright. Fine by me. I won't fight you on that.'

They ordered the cookies, a latte for Eleanor, and plain black coffee for Sebastian; to replace the one he threw in the trash and then sat on one of the brown leather couches.

'These are delicious,' she said as the still warm cookie melted in her mouth. She could feel the salt of the butter, the bitterness of the dark chocolate, the sweetness of the sugar and a hint of vanilla, all coming together.

'Told you so.'

Sebastian grabbed one too and started to eat, but there was still something bothering him.

'Why are you working so hard? I mean, I'm not complaining, some people do the complete opposite, but I feel that you are overexerting yourself. Do you feel like you have something to prove?' he asked and after took a sip of his drink as he waited for her answer.

She took her eyes off the latte and admired Sebastian, as his deduction was very much on point.

'Something like that.'

'Such a vague answer,' he sighed.

'I want to prove to myself and my parents that I can build a career on my own, without their help.'

'Parent issues, then?'

'No, not really. Actually,' — she inhaled deeply — 'they are amazing parents. Which makes me feel extremely guilty for thinking like this. They never engraved this pressure on me, I placed it upon on myself. But I always felt that if I didn't do something, I'd forever be in their shadow. They are very successful in the company that they work at. This is what you get when you have overachieving parents and are surrounded by people that excel at everything and you are just average, I guess.'

'You will do great things on your own, I'm sure of it. And I understand your worries, but that doesn't mean you have to kill yourself by working so hard.'

'I won't. It's just that,' — she took a sip before continuing — 'if I don't work hard enough, I'll always be just the intern. I'll never be taken seriously. To be good at my job and to be seen as a competent person, it's everything I want.'

'You already are all that, Eleanor. You are the only one that doesn't see it. Just try to enjoy life a little more first,' he said without his usual smirk. He was worried about her. 'Work isn't everything. What about your hobbies?'

'Hmm,' — she looked at her mug as if the answer was going to be at the bottom of her coffee — 'to be honest, I don't even remember what hobbies I used to have. If any at all. I was only good at studying and reading.'

'I'm sorry to say this, but that's just sad.'

'Thanks,' she said sarcastically. 'What about you? You don't seem to do anything else besides work, so I don't get why you are telling me that.'

'Wrong. I exercise a lot. It's my hobby, it helps me with stress. Lately, I've been boxing. You should go see me some time,' he said as his devilish smile returned.

'Yeah, maybe.' She hid her face with her mug as she sipped a little more.

Sebastian chuckled and finished his coffee.

'But,' — she hesitated and quickly glanced at him, — 'have you ever felt like a fraud?' she asked with a depressed look on her face. 'That's how I feel sometimes. But I suppose you probably never do.'

'You are wrong, you know? In the beginning, when my father handed everything to me, I felt like a fraud. I didn't build anything. It was given to me.'

'And now? How do you feel about that?'