18 ; the ticklish pear

"He said we is free to call him a - a barmy old codger if we likes, sir!"

Harry, Ron, Ben, Liliana, Atlas, and Hermione went up to the Owlery that evening to find Pigwidgeon, so that Harry could send Sirius a letter telling him that he had managed to get past his dragon unscathed. He'd've preferred Loki, but unfortunately, Liliana had sent him out the previous morning with a letter to her parents. On the way, Harry filled Ron in on everything Sirius had told him about Karkaroff. Though shocked at first to hear that Karkaroff had been a Death Eater, by the time they entered the Owlery Ron was saying that they ought to have suspected it all along.

"Fits, doesn't it?" he said. "Him valuing nothing but that blood supremacy rubbish and enforcing it at Durmstrang -" he glanced apologetically in Ben and Atlas's direction "- and remember what Malfoy said on the train, about his dad being friends with Karkaroff? Now we know where they knew each other. They were probably running around in masks together at the World Cup. . . . I'll tell you one thing, though, Harry, if it was Karkaroff who put your name in the goblet, he's going to be feeling really stupid now, isn't he? Didn't work, did it? You only got a scratch! Come here - I'll do it -"

Pigwidgeon was so overexcited at the idea of a delivery he was flying around and around Harry's head, hooting incessantly. Ron snatched Pigwidgeon out of the air and held him still while Harry attached the letter to his leg.

"There's no way any of the other tasks are going to be that dangerous, how could they be?" Ron went on as he carried Pigwidgeon to the window. "You know what? I reckon you could win this tournament, Harry, I'm serious."

"Nice way to butter him up, Ron," said Atlas, thumping his friend on the back.

Ron scowled.

Harry appreciated what Ron had said, knowing - as Atlas said - it was a way to make up for his behavior for the last few weeks, but found it quite humorous how Atlas had put it. Hermione, however, had not; she leaned against the Owlery wall, folded her arms, and frowned at Ron.

"Harry's got a long way to go before he finishes this tournament," she reminded him seriously. "If that was the first task, I hate to think what's coming next."

"Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?" questioned Ron sarcastically. "You and Professor Trelawney should get together sometime."

Atlas snorted. "They'd have a grand time I'm sure of it, predicting Harry's death one tea cup at a time."

"That's not funny," scolded Liliana, ignoring the grin of approval Ron'd flashed Atlas.

"Lily," began Harry, smirking, "weren't you the one who suggested you and Hermione were only trying to -"

"Well-" interrupted Liliana, "I was clearly being-"she broke off seeing the point he was making and muttered an irked, "whatever."

Harry smiled smugly.