14 ; the four champions

"They do believe me

"They do believe me. . . right?"

Harry sat there, aware that every head in the Great Hall had turned to look at him. He was stunned. He felt numb. He was surely dreaming. He had not heard correctly.

There was no applause. A buzzing, as though of angry bees, was starting to fill the Hall; some students were standing up to get a better look at Harry as he sat, frozen, in his seat.

Up at the top table, Professor McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Professor Dumbledore, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly.

Harry turned to Ron, Atlas, Liliana, and Hermione; beyond them, he saw the long Gryffindor table all watching him, open-mouthed.

"I didn't put my name in," Harry said blankly. "You know I didn't."

They stared just as blankly back.

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.

"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

Harry turned his head, searching his friend's stupefied expressions, however, the only one he could concentrate on was Liliana's: a mixture of slight disbelief but more prominent, angst.

"Lily," he began slowly, urging her to say something to him. There was only silence, but she gave him a slight push as to say, 'They're waiting on you'.

"Go on," Hermione whispered, taking the same approach as Liliana.

Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. He caught a glimpse of Ben, and he felt his spirits diminish even more; could he also have thought Harry had put his name in? It felt like an immensely long walk; the top table didn't seem to be getting any nearer at all, and he could feel hundreds and hundreds of eyes upon him, as though each were a searchlight. The buzzing grew louder and louder. After what seemed like an hour, he was right in front of Dumbledore, feeling the stares of all the teachers upon him.

"Well . . . through the door, Harry," said Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling.

Liliana watched as Harry moved off along the teachers' table. Hagrid was seated right at the end. He did not wink at Harry, or wave, or give any of his usual signs of greeting. He looked completely astonished and stared at Harry as he passed like everyone else. Harry went through the door out of the Great Hall.

Almost immediately, the buzzing of hisses and furious whispers rose loudly so that now everyone could hear.

"Count on Potter to be the exception!" an angry yell from the Slytherin table came followed by a series of others.

"He's not even seventeen!" someone from Ravenclaw pointed out.

"Potter's a cheat!" came a shout from Hufflepuff.