Chapter 53

Sam is standing against his truck in front of Jasmine's apartment building when Brent, wearing a backpack, runs up to the entrance before doing a double-take at Sam. Sam greets him with a nod and Brent walks up to him.

"So, you're my father?"

"Nah. I'm not."

Brent nods, slightly disappointed.

"If your mom's home, do you mind telling her to come down here?"

Brent raises an eyebrow in confusion. "Are you sure? You don't know her like I do. You dodged a bullet. I would run if I were you."

"Yo, that's mad crazy you feel that way about your own mother."

He shrugs. "It's facts. I'll go see if she's home." Brent walks back to the building.

"Aye Brent..."

He stops in his tracks, looking back at Sam.

"If you ever need to get away, you can come to my gym. I'll make sure you can get in."

"You own a gym? Which one?"

"Carter's"

Brent nods in admiration. "That's what's up." He opens the doors and then glances over at Sam. "I'll see you later."

About 10 minutes later, Jasmine comes running out of the building like a teenager going to see her crush. "I knew you would come." She grins at Sam, and walks right up to him, barely leaving any space for him to move.

Her closeness catches Sam off guard at first. He then looks her up and down, observing her slight provocative stance towards him. He shakes his head in disbelief. "We need to talk."

"Wait, you don't mind me being in front of you like this? The other day, you literally ran away from me when I sat next to you."

"Jasmine-"

She gasps. "I know what it is. There's trouble in paradise," she assumes, smirking at the thought.

Sam sighs, but tries to keep his patience. "Jasmine, I need you to listen to me."

"Okay, Zaddy." She winks at him. "I'm all ears."

"Look, in order for us..." He clears his throat, trying to get his next words out. "... in order for us to make this work, you have-"

"Wait, what did you just say? Work it out?" Jasmine's eyes are extremely wide.

"Yo, stop cutting me off."

Jasmine pretends to zip her mouth closed, barely able to hold in her excitement.

"I need you to be honest with me about everything. Or this is not going to work."

"Okay, but what do you mean this is not going to work? Are you saying you're willing to give us another shot?"

"Jasmine, I need you to tell me if there's anything I need to know before we get further into this conversation."

She shakes her head, quickly. Not wanting to admit to anything.

"You're lying to me, right now. So, this conversation isn't gonna work." He starts to leave and Jasmine grabs his arm.

She stares into his eyes, fixing her mouth to speak.

"What is it?" He asks impatiently.

"Brent isn't yours. But I'm sure you already know that."

"Why would you lie about that?"

"I didn't think you would try to take a test. I just wanted you to be back in my life, and I knew you would be good around my son."