Chapter 2

The water from the shower turns off.  Yemi emerges from the tub and wraps a towel around her body.  Her face is of a goddess, and her natural beauty is captivating. 

Yemi rubs body cream all over her, and then unfolds the clothes sitting on top of the sink.  She puts the black sweatpants and sweatshirt on, and then puts all of her thick mane into a bonnet.  She brushes her teeth as a FaceTime call comes through on her phone.

"Hi Veronica."

"Nia told me you sounded like you were gonna cry earlier."

"No, I'm good.  Sorry I had to cancel my appointment."

"Girl, you cannot have your nails not done on your birthday.  Look, since everybody in the shop loves your spirit, I will hook you up, this one time"

Yemi smiles.  "I'll make sure to pay you back."

"I won't let you.  Can you come around 2?"

"I'll be there, thank you."

"Don't tell anybody I'm doing this for you, though."

Yemi chuckles.  "I won't."

Veronica ends the call, leaving Yemi relieved that she will actually be doing something for her birthday.  She's surprised Veronica even remembers with all the other clients Veronica has coming in and out of the shop.  But then again, Veronica doesn't talk to all of her clients like that.  Yemi's thoughts are quickly interrupted when someone starts to pound on the door.

"Hurry up.  You're not the only one who needs to take a shower."

Yemi rolls her eyes; grabs her tote caddy, and then hangs her towel over the crowded rack before opening the door.

"About time." A husky man, who could be attractive if he kept himself up, grabs Yemi by her wrist as she tries to squeeze past him.  She tries to pull from his grasp, but has no luck.  The man licks his lips as he uses his other hand to rub her butt over her sweat pants.  She drops her caddy on the floor trying to pry away from him.  He backs her up against the wall, pressing his lower body against hers and whispers to her, "You feel that?"   

"Get the fuck off me," she seethes through gritted teeth.

"What you gon' do if I don't?  It's your word against mine.  And we both know Briana will take mine."

A door opens from down the hall and he quickly backs away from Yemi.  Briana walks towards them.  "Why is your shit all over the floor?"  Yemi looks down at her toiletries.

She sucks her teeth and responds sarcastically, "Ask Jonathon."

If looks could kill, Yemi would be dead right now.  Jonathon kicks the caddy further down the hallway as Yemi tries to gather her belongings. 

"Babe, stop."  Briana shoves Jonathon into the bathroom and closes the door in his face.  She looks down at Yemi and shakes her head.  "Y'all fight like brother and sister."  Yemi looks pissed as Briana starts to walk away.

"I can't keep giving you extra money.  That wasn't our agreement."

Briana whips her head around and scowls at Yemi.  "You can move out if there's a problem."

"We're all going to end up homeless if Jonathon keeps blowing your rent money at the casino."

"Speak on my husband again, and I will put all your shit out on the curb!" Yemi closes her eyes as Briana's voice booms through the hallway.

Jonathon smirks on the other side of the door.

___

Yemi is asleep in the back seat of her car.  The alarm on her phone goes off and she jumps up punching the air.  She takes a deep breath when she realizes she's in a safe place.  She starts the car, letting it warm up as she picks up her caddy from the front seat.  She does a quick hygiene session, using a water bottle, before taking off her bonnet.

Yemi looks in the mirror.  She wishes she could wear something nice and wear a little bit of makeup, but her stuff keeps coming up missing.  Yemi turns on the car radio and heads to her receptionist job.

___

After work, Yemi makes her way to Veronica's nail salon.  Everyone shouts "Happy birthday" when she walks in.  Yemi blushes.  As soon as she sits at Veronica's station, Sam comes through the front door wearing basketball shorts, a t-shirt, a baseball cap, and running shoes.  Yemi notices him but doesn't really pay him any attention like the other women do.  Veronica notices Yemi's uninterested glance, and tilts her head in shock.

"Yo, V, you don't have your phone?"

"No I don't.  What's going on?"

Sam is about to respond, but Yemi hypnotizes him.  Veronica clears her throat, snapping him out of his gaze.

"Uh- did you pick up my keys?  I couldn't get into the gym."

"No, I only have mine."

"Check your purse.  I bet it's in there."

Veronica sucks her teeth, and reluctantly gets up.  "I'll be back, birthday girl.  Make sure you pick a good color."

Yemi smiles as Veronica goes into the back office.  Sam sits down in Veronica's chair as he tries not to stare at Yemi's beauty. 

"What's up sexy?" A nail tech approaches Sam.

Sam nods at her.

"Still single?"

"Don't you have work to do?"  Sam's calm, but everyone knows not to pry into his personal life.

Yemi moves away to give them their privacy.

"Nia, what I tell you about messing with my cousin?"  Veronica comes out of the office with Sam's keys in her hand.  Nia scurries off as Sam snatches his keys from Veronica.

Sam tries to fist pound Veronica, but she smacks his fist away and hugs him instead.  He doesn't hug her back. 

Yemi returns with a few colors in her hand, holding them up to Veronica. "Which one?"

Sam takes one out of Yemi's hand and puts it on the desk.  "Happy birthday." 

Veronica's mouth drops as Yemi smiles.  "Thank you."  Sam leaves, and Yemi is puzzled by Veronica's stuck expression.  "You don't like it?"

"No, that's your color.  I'm just shocked he was that nice to you."

Yemi shrugs.

Hope you're enjoying so far. 

Feel free to comment and share.