Chapter 23

A/N: Before we get into the chapter, I would like to THANK YOU all for the votes and 5K reads. This story means so much to me, so I'm happy you're enjoying it.

Now without further ado...

Yemi, wearing a bath robe and silicone rollers in her hair, sits on a barstool while Veronica applies makeup to her face.

"Okay, so either we can do it this Sunday or-"

"This Sunday? Shouldn't we give people more notice?"

"Yeah... but you have to remember, next weekend is right before the start of Christmas week. And I know for sure, all my nail techs are gonna be too busy dealing with that madness. They won't have time to come until after the New Year."

"True."

"Do you want to have it then? Around the time when people get their taxes, maybe? You'll probably have your furniture by then, and then you can show off your place."

"If we wait that long, I might as well not have it."

"If you don't have something, Kaylin's momma is going to take over."

"You're right. We'll just wait until tax season."

"Cool. That'll give me more time to really do it right. I want this to be special for you. You deserve it."

Yemi smiles, in awe of Veronica's statement. She loves their growing friendship.

"So have you at least been looking online, putting furniture on your wish list?"

"I sure have."

"Oooh. Let me see what you have."

Yemi grabs her phone from the kitchen counter. She grins, unlocking the phone. She opens her screenshot album, and turns it towards Veronica.

"Okay, so this is the type of couch I want. I love the modern velvet look. I want my place to be mostly emerald green with a pop of light pink. So this couch would be perfect. And look at this cute pink lamp."

"That chandelier is dope."

"It's calling my name." Yemi can't take her eyes off it. Veronica laughs at her.

"What about tables and stuff?"

"Oh yeah..." Yemi swipes until she reaches a picture of a coffee table. "This is the type of wood I want everything to be. It's a rare find. But it's beautiful. Oh, and look at this rug!"

"Girl, that's beautiful. The colors are amazing."

"Right?! But I won't be getting that one; it's too expensive- Maybe in a couple of years. But yeah, that's pretty much what I want."

Veronica takes it all in, making sure to make a mental note of everything. "So, if I want to give you dishes, do you want them to be green or pink?"

"Whichever color you find first. I don't want you having to search all over the place for anything."

"Girl, stop. You know what- I know exactly what I'll get you."

"What?"

"You'll have to wait and see."

Yemi smirks. "I can't believe I'm actually going through with all of this."

"What did you say Kaylin told you?"

"Huh?"

"Oh yeah... You have to let people do things for you. Blessings, not handouts."

"Veronica..."