Chapter 39

It's been five minutes since Yemi has gone away and Sam is still staring at the front door with his brain in overdrive. The mean-mug he had when he was asleep is the same one he has, right now. Causing harm to Yemi is something he promised her he would never do, and he's ashamed of himself for losing control of his emotions.

He finally breaks his stare to examine the coffee table. "Fuck," he curses himself.

The ice pack on the couch catches his eyes. He grabs it and heads towards the front door, grabbing his keys on the way out.

Bypassing the elevator, he makes his way to the stairwell and runs down expeditiously. When he reaches the main floor, he bolts out the door and goes straight to the parking garage. Upon opening the garage entrance, he sees Yemi struggling to get into her truck.

Yemi hears movement behind her, so she turns her face and her eyes land on Sam sprinting towards her. "What are you doing? I told you I'll drive myself."

"You can't even get inside, ma." Sam sandwiches her hips with his large hands. He hoists her up against his body, being careful not to bend her.

"Sam put me down."

"I'm taking you to work. I don't wanna hear shit else about it," he responds calmly.

Yemi rolls her eyes as Sam carries her to his truck. "I need to get my boots out the back," she says, defeated.

"I'll get 'em." Sam opens his back seat and starts to lay her down on her stomach.

"Why are you putting me back here?" She protests.

"How're you gonna lay down in the front? Or do you want your back to get worse?" He asks sarcastically.

Yemi kisses her teeth, knowing he has a valid point.

"Imma put the ice pack on you," he cautions her. He slowly places the ice pack on her back, and then closes the door.

"We haven't even been back here for 24 hours, and shits already starting to happen," she tells herself, feeling like she's cursed in California.

*

40 MINUTES LATER

In the parking lot of Yemi's job, Sam slides Yemi's boots on her feet as she uses the truck to hold her body up. She avoids eye contact while Sam gazes at her, wanting more time to remedy their situation. "Do you need help going inside?"

"No. The pain is starting to go away."

He finishes tying her shoe laces before standing up in front of her, making sure to leave no space between them. He looks deep into her eyes. "Do you forgive me?"

His sexiness makes it hard for her to look into Sam's eyes while still being slightly disappointed in him. "Yes Sam. I have to go; I'm already five minutes late."

He gently grabs her chin, kissing her lips as if his life depends on it. Yemi squeezes his arms as goosebumps erupt on hers. Moments later, Yemi breaks the kiss. "Bye Sam," she says, breathily.

"What time should I pick you up?"

"Maybe around 4. I'll call you when I leave the work site."

"Alright," he says, backing away from her, allowing her space to move. He watches her walk to the office building before getting into his truck and driving away.

Yemi walks inside and notices a worried look on Myra's face. "Hey. Are you okay?"

"Mr. Dunn wants to see you in his office."