Let the Games Begin...

Aryn's P.O.V

She grabs my hand, leading me to the table with the other princes and her friends as if what just happened needs no explanation.  As if kissing me in front of the entire school is part of her everyday routine. As if she hadn't avoided me like the plague no less than forty minutes ago. As if she had never ever stated her hatred for me on more than one occasion leading up to this plot twist of an event. But she had done all those things. She had claimed us mortal enemies this morning and now just kissed me at lunch. She said she hated Romeo and Juliet and yet she seems to be doing a hell of a good job re-enacting her chosen  character. I honestly have no idea what's going on but I hardly ever do when it comes to her. Three questions bounce around in my head like ping pong balls, teasing my sanity and scattering my logic.

She turns to me, eyes shining and smile unwavering. A smile I've seen but never ever been on the receiving end of.  The first question echoes in my mind 'Who the hell is this girl?'

Before I can even attempt to gather information to answer that curiosity, she takes my hand under the table and intertwines our fingers. I look up, startled by the warmth of her hand in my icy one and the fact that she somehow went from indifferent sociopath to affectionate lover in seconds. Her eyes are warm when our eyes meet and I feel the fires in mine which are normally strong and angry enough to scorch the world, waver, all due to her. 'What the hell is she planning?'

I'm not an idiot either, though I don't know why she did what she did — I'm sure it isn't because she's suddenly head over heels in love with me.  However, that second question isn't nearly as loud as the third. The third is the cruelest and most prominent of them all, rattling my rationality and my usual head over heart rule. It gets louder, louder and stronger the longer her fingers stay interlocked with mine, her gaze and that weapon of a smile are pointed at me. I hear myself gulp as she leans over and gives me a quick kiss on the cheek before telling me she's going to the bathroom with her friend. The question starts up again as I watch her walk away and my heartbeat trips when I see her look back. I look away, trying not to meet anyone else's eyes in fear that the question will be so strong, the intensity of it even may appear in my gaze. I think of Alexia and how there's one thing I can't deny no matter how much I try. She's the only girl who can turn me into a fool. She's the only girl that can pull off publicly executing my reputation and completely ruining me and get away unscathed. She's the only one who has that power over me. She's it. The type of girl that can bring my whole world crashing down around me, the type of girl that makes giving it all up seem worth it. That undeniable fact brings about the subsequent never ceasing question that's been residing in my mind since she kissed me. It gets so loud I can't sit comfortably with it only being mental.

"Dammit," I hear my voice and it sounds strange, breathless and conflicted. I finally say the third question aloud, letting the universe hear it and hopefully offer me an answer soon, "How the hell," I close my eyes and instantly a picture of Alexia pops into my head. Of her blue bell eyes, shining with a million 'I know something you don't' sparkles and the smile that sums up her whole witty, brave and indifferent personality. My eyes shoot open as I criticize  my brain for doing that to me,  "am I going to survive this?"

 My eyes shoot open as I criticize  my brain for doing that to me,  "am I going to survive this?"