Chapter Forty-Six

Was this what serenity felt like? Tulip didn't have to search her mind for the answer. It was displayed by the contented little smile painted on her freshly cleaned face. Her stomach was almost filled with the oxtail stew and cornbread. She was most certainly sure that once she'd finished off the beer Jasper had handed her on his way back from tucking in Sydney she would be sleeping like a newborn baby, also. She let her smile lift higher as he claimed the opposite side of the wicker couch she had claimed after her shower. She took one more sip of lager, swiping her eyes over the breathtaking view of the Hill Country under the faint lights from the setting sun before giving Jasper her full attention.

To her surprise, his cognac eyes didn't greet her. His vision was trained on the flames dancing in the fireplace that wasn't for warmth but the ambiance. She could tell he was thinking about something deep and introspective. You don't spend ten intensive months with someone having meaningful conversations, crafting memories, and having sensational sex without knowing their traits and some of their habits. His mind was plagued with something that left his features placid.

"Did she stay up for a story?" Her question pulled him from his contemplation.

He shook his head before speaking. "She knocked out as soon as she fell in bed." His mouth quirked up and a sparkle ignited in his eye that rivaled the stars. She was sure that her eyes did the same thing, that was the Sidney Effect. "You're not too far behind her. I guess it's safe to say ya'll have fun on your mini road trip."

The hand that covered Tulip's mouth as she yawned dropped to her lap. "Did we ruin your plans?"

"No." His voice was clear as he spoke over the music streaming from the wireless speaker on the table by the pair of chairs that matched the couch they occupied. "Nothing planned for tonight. Just dinner and relaxation."

"Dinner was delicious." She said patting her stomach with a lopsided grin. "Highly recommend leftovers."

"Leftovers?" He shook his head turning to her, pulling his leg onto the sofa. "Tomorrow's menu is already prepped for tomorrow."

"You made a menu?"

He nodded.

"Is this a visit or a campaign to persuade us to stay?"

His chest lifted as he faintly chuckled. "I just want ya'll to feel at home because..." He swallowed as if he was working up the nerve to say something. "Because this is yawl's home, too."

Tulip's eyes narrowed at his words, "How so?"

"Sidney's my daughter." He said. "You're her mom. We're family and this house is for family." He took a sip of tea from his mug as she also took a sip of her beverage. "Ya'll are welcome here whenever and for how long you wish."

"But I'll call first."

"You don't have to." He rebutted. "I made you a key and wrote down the alarm code."

Her eyes went wide as she slowly shook her head. "Jasper."

"Tulip." He shrugged. "What?"

"You're doing too much."

"Uh..." He shook his head. "I think I'm doing 'too little too late' but not too much." He smirked. "And you said she needs consistency and smooth transitions and you know she's not going to want to come here if you're not here."

Tulip inhaled deeply then let the breath out slowly glancing at the fire as a pop snatched her attention. She knew he was right. Sidney wouldn't be a fan of staying in the boondocks without her near. Frankly, the child wouldn't want to be in any place that was too far from her and she knew exactly why. The reason brought tears to her eyes.

She sat up, abandoning her relaxed posture, and wiped the tears away before they fell. "She didn't know."

She planted her sight back on him and clarified. "A couple of nights ago after I read to her she didn't want to leave. She begged me to stay and that's when she told me that she never knew her mom was sick until she had to be rushed to the hospital one night..." Her lip quivered as she pulled in a ragged breath. "And never came back."

"My—" She stopped, a blink clearing the water from her eyes giving her a perfect view of the worry on his face. 'Our baby is scared of being away from us at night and I don't know how to heal her."

"It's okay." He fitted his hand against her, scooting closer and closing the valley of space between them. "We'll figure it out together. We're in this together. Plus..." He brushed her braids back to fully see her face. "I have a surprise for her. Can you keep a secret?"

She tilted her head and gave him a look that said 'Are you serious'. He tipped his head and then leaped from the wicker sofa to disappear into the house. She dried her face and finished the remainder of her beer when he reappeared with the most precious thing cradled in his arms.

"You got her a puppy?"

"A friend of mine breeds Irish Setters and had one left." Jasper sat next to her and handed her that wriggly reddish-brown puppy. "I read pets can help with grief and dogs are loyal."

Tulip stroked the puppy's silky coat as he rolled into a ball on her lap and fought to keep its eyes open. "Is this why you left early?"

"That and I needed to restock the pantry, and change the linen."

"I bet you only had four towels and two rolls of tissue paper." She toyed with the puppy's floppy ear as she watched his lips slowly move into a grin. "Mr. Young, a four-bathroom house, and you only two rolls of tissue paper. Scandalous."

"Well, five if you count the one in the Master Suite." He reached towards her lap and stroked the puppy's smooth back. "Do you want to see it?"

Her eyebrows furrowed as she asked. "The bathroom or the suite?"

"Both. All of it." His voice lowered. "Everything."

Tulip pulled back, eyeing him suspiciously. "As in everything...you mean the property. A tour."

"Of course." He coyly smirked. "What else do you think I mean."

"Uh. Nothing." She popped up feeling a little too warm from the closeness of his body, the flickering fire, the twinkling sky overhead, and the beer in her belly. "Let's reschedule that for when Sidney is awake. No reason to do it twice." She handed him the puppy. She tossed a 'goodnight' over her shoulder before darting to her room.

She fell on the bed with a sigh of relief and a bit of regret; her willpower was stronger than she thought and wondered if it would really be wrong if she rode that ride one more time. 

Do you think the puppy will help with Sidney's grief and some of her issues? 

Why do you think Tulip had some regret for not accepting Jasper's offer for a tour of the house?

Will it be wrong if Tulip rode that ride one more time?

What do you think Sidney will name the puppy?