Chapter Thirteen

Sunday evenings were for binging.  Monday through Saturday, Tulip didn't have much downtime. If she wasn't at work, she was at home cultivating ideas and organizing themes to wow her clients. Giving them the things they didn't know they wanted was her specialty. Being that productive left very little time to stay consistent with every series, movie, or special that premiered. So, she set aside Sunday to partake in a complete marathon of television.

Neisha cosigned the notion since she didn't have Netflix but was a Hulu subscriber. Unfortunately, they weren't going to be able to watch the show they had planned on devouring. Tulip let her sight lingered on Sydney sitting on the couch fresh from the shower with her voluminous 'fro framing her face like a halo as she sang along with the theme of the Proud Family.

"No, Insecure, right?" Neisha asked to be certain as she pushed down the plastic bag so the takeout containers were more accessible.

Tulip delicately sat three glasses on the island with a shake of her head, "I finally got her to speak more English and the last thing I want her asking is 'what is sex'?" She lowered her voice on the three-letter word. "But since we're on the subject." She paused letting the corner of her mouth tick up slyly.

"What's wrong with your face?" Neisha broke apart a cornbread muffin. "Are you having a stroke?"

"No!" She playfully slapped Neisha's shoulder. "Stop playing. You know what I'm talking about."

Neisha shook her head. She swallowed the hot water cornbread before continuing, "I don't do innuendos or hints. What are you implying, Carpenter?"

"You and Lachlan were chumming all morning." She closed the fridge door with her hip since her hands were filled with an ice bucket and pitcher of tea. "Drinking from his straw, that's some intimate shit. So, ya'll are finally more than friends."

"Sorry to break it to you but you ain't cupid, boo." Neisha swiped one of the cups after Tulip filled it was the chilled brew. "It wasn't that deep. He said the milkshake was good. I was curious so he let me try it." She shrugged while taking a long sip. "Chill."

Tulip rolled her eyes, "Keep lying to yourself."

Her phone chirped and she peeked over the ice bucket to see who it was. She sighed to herself then flipped the device over.

"Who was that."

"Austin." She leaned against the counter with her head hanging lowly. "I'm going to have to cut him loose."

"Why?"

Tulip placed her eyes on Sydney still glued to the cartoon. "My priorities have changed. I don't have the time for escapades." She grabbed two cubes of ice with tongs and dropped them into a glass. "He wants to swing by. I can't have him here. Nope." She shook her head adamantly.

"Why not." Neisha balled up the plastic bag finally emptying off all the containers.

"I just—" Tulip paused with her hand on her hip trying to compose her emotions and worries into words that can be conveyed. "She's already lost someone important. I don't want to introduce someone in her life that's not sticking around for the long haul."

"And he ain't a contender?"

Tulip chuckled as she deposited the pitcher back in the fridge. She knew Neisha's words weren't a joke but it was funny to her. She wasn't looking for a long term love. Not before Sydney showed up and definitely not right now. Her primary goal was getting Sydney to know her more, getting more comfortable around her so she'd call her something other than Ms. Tulip.

She cringed at the thought of it. She hated that. She wasn't expecting her to call her mom but Ms. Tulip was too formal and gnawed at her nerves like nails scratching the chalkboard.