Chapter Seven

The twinkle lights strewn through the backyard trees and hovering overhead were like nearby stars under the inky sky. Tulip's mind was light-years away. The past was on replay in her psyche. Her relationship was Jasper. The first time they met. She wondered if his voice still sounded like gentle rain on a cool Autumn evening. Was his smile still bright enough to push back the unhappiness of a Monday morning? Was he still the same unique soul that attracted her to him or had he grown out of his individualistic mentality and walked the path of what was suitable for their age group—marriage, home, children.

Did he have a wife? Did they have babies? Had he forgotten all about her and their baby?

Her brain froze as she toyed with her gold necklace. Of course, he moved on. She was the only one rendered motionless by the past.

"I think it's about that  time?" Niesha's easy yet heavy Texas twang voice sounded at her side

"Huh?" Tulip blinked down at the five-foot-two woman that was almost the same height as her in those red pumps.

Niesha nodded to the dance floor. A couple of people with Morrison Advertising forgot that this was a work function and not a club. Twerking, grinding, and gyrating were fun little activities but not with the boss and your supervisors a couple of feet away from you.

Tulip didn't need Neisha to elaborate anymore. The Owner of Morrison Advertising had paid to keep the bar open all night but it was now time to start serving mock cocktails and water.

"They lasted past nine." Tulip reminded reading the time on her watch. "Longer than the Ullman Christmas party."

Niesha shivered with disdain, "Don't bring up that chaotic calamity. Who hook-ups in the restroom." She grimaced thinking back at the fiasco she had to break up at another corporate festivity. 

"At least it was a clean one," Tulip added with a grin. "You know they're engaged now. You think they'll call us for the wedding."   

"I read the column. Love in the Middle Stall. A captivating read."

Tulip nodded, "It almost made me hope for mushing and sentimental."

"Thinking about old loves or new ones?" Niesha mocha eyes drifted to the bar.

She didn't have to look that way. She already knew who was behind the bar mixing drinks and charming the guest with his dashing charisma. Austin.

They hadn't spoken since she politely kicked him out. Now, it was a great time to break the record just as one of the frisky dancers hiked their leg upon some one's hip showing too much for everyone's eyes.

Niesha shot over to the floor and broke up the handsy coworkers while she strode to the bar. Austin handed a martini to a man in an outfit that was more business than casual then greeted her with a smile that grew as she grew near the weathered wood barrel bar that matched the party's picnic-barbecue theme. 

"You're done avoiding me?" He raised a new champagne bottle over empty glasses. The way her face shifted to confusion prompted him to elaborate. "You haven't texted me back."

"I've been busy." She wrapped her hand around the bottle of the chilled bottle. "No more alcohol."

He eyed Niesha pleading with the drunk to down more water but she was losing the battle. "They're a...rowdy bunch for degreed folks."

"Alcohol suppresses inhibition in anyone no matter how educated." She gave him a simple grin. "Which means just because you aced your EMS exam doesn't mean you can down a bottle of Patrón."

"So, you did get my text," He smirked, peering down at the bar, wiping up spilled chardonnay and melted ice. "Just left me on read."

"I didn't leave you on read." She plucked a stray hair from Mr. Palmer's Maltese off her black shift dress. "If I don't want to deal with someone anymore. I tell them how I feel and block their number."

He leaned on the bar, looking quite handsome in the crisp white button-down with a bow-tie and his tightly curled mane oiled and held back with a hair tie.

"Good." His voice was lower, smooth, and attractive prompting Tulip to lean in a little closer. "Because I have enough condoms to last all night."

"Oh, my!" She straightened, fanning herself playfully. "You know just what to say to turn a woman on but..." She slapped her palms on the bar. "I'm busy. My life has drastically changed since our last rendezvous.

"Like what?" His words dripped in disbelief.

Tulip wondered if she should tell him but if he was going to continue being her buddy she'd have to be upfront.

"I have a daughter and she's—" She twisted around to point to Sydney but all she was met with was an empty chair. "She was right there."

Her mind went blank as she searched the crowd on the dance floor for Sydney and the other tables. But she wasn't to be found. Worry and dread flooded her body as her breathing picked up and she held her temple.

"You mean the little girl in the pleated dress?"

She whipped around, "Yeah! You saw her?"

"She went into the house." He pointed to the abode. "A couple of minutes ago."

"Shit!" Tulip hissed as she ran as fast as she could in turquoise pumps.

Where do you think Sydney is?

What do you think it means that Tulip told Austin the truth? Is their relationship a little deeper than what she's admitting?