Ten Years and Ten Months Ago

John B

John B. Coleman was Tulip's favorite place to be before her psychology class. However, she wasn't there occupying her favorite desk near the window. She needed a computer and didn't feel like trudging off-campus to her apartment just to use hers when she had a class in twenty-three minutes. The computer lab was usually packed from the hours of ten a.m. to four p.m. but she had a ringer. Brianna was already there typing up a paper she had to turn in by the end of the day.

"What are you trying to get that's got you trying to check your status this bad?" Brianna rose from the seat and pulled down her shorts before sidestepping her. "A rental car? I told you, you could borrow mine."

"And I'm taking you up on that offer." Tulip dropped her long, slender body in the chair. She had always been five-seven with long legs a fate she disdained in primary school but appreciated as a young woman. She could reach the top shelf, a skill her friend didn't have.

Tulip surveyed her friend standing at her side then said in a hushed tone so as not to disturb the slew of students around them; the ones without earbuds ramming in the ears, at least. "Where'd you get on these coochie cutters?"

"Forever 21." The shorts had already moved back in the cress it was before. "It's a hundred out there. I ain't wearing yoga pants." She gestured to the screen. "Check your email. I have two more pages to type up. And leave my thunder thighs alone."

"Psssh," Tulip sounded, swirling the chair towards the Formica desk. "Thick thighs save lives."

"And you better know it," The guy sitting next to Tulip added, giving Brianna's figure a once over. A quirk ticked up his lush lips as his eyes bet her's. "You look good, too."

"Sir, we are trying to work here." Brianna snapped then her face went soft taking on a flirtatious glint. "But thank-you."

"You welcome, shawty," His voice was sweetened with a New Orleans flair as he smiled brighter and maneuvered his chair around. "I can give you compliments all day if you gave me your number."

"Okay." Tulip quipped as she typed in her username and password ignoring the two exchanging information and pleasantries. She never understood how her friend could strike up a conversation so easily with a stranger and be in their presence like they were old friends from third grade and not some person she'd just met.

Maybe it was the southern hospitality thing but she was southern or maybe it was a Texas thing. She couldn't decide which one it was but she knew it was a skill she didn't have.

Once she had her credentials typed in properly and the database accepted it she went straight to her email.

Fifteen unread messages.

Most of them were from stores. Bath & Body Works, Victoria's Secret, and Old Navy. She had a swiping problem but who wouldn't when coupons and advertisements keep coming to your inbox. But shopping was the last thing she needed. Her Discover card had around gotten a workout and plus she charged those concert tickets she was reaching her limit and in times like these, it made her slightly regretful of those splurges.

Her cursor went directly to the message from the Financial Aid office and she prayed it was what she needed it to be. She raced her eyes over the paragraph, speed reading until her prayer was answered.

Refund Awarded: $1,342.00

She let out a deep breath feeling the weight lifting from her shoulder. It had been sitting there for a solid week after her grandmama told her the A/C in her car broke and it would take at least seven hundred to fix. Summers in the south were hot and the last time her seventy-three-year-old granny needed was to be sweltering in the car while she went to her doctor appointments and church functions.

Will wanted to help but his refund wasn't as much as hers with him going to a private institution.

With glee, she went to the last message, a notification for Facebook, and her hopes dropped. She'd been getting numerous notifications from the site since she left the message of someone in need of selling a ticket. They weren't just looking for a concert so she didn't expect much.

She ignored the profile picture. It didn't matter what he looked like until she knew what he'd typed.

Jasper Young: I love them. Would love to go. If you meet me at the university bookstore I'll pay you upfront.

The smile resurfaced on her face. This must be her lucky day.

Brianna against her chair after waving bye to her new friend. "He's fine. Who is he?" The three words ran together like a song.

"The guy I'm going to a concert with."

Brianna nodded with fondness, "Fun."

Why do you think Tulip didn't pay any extra attention to how the guy looked?