Chapter Four:

Karma Aneli Lakes
November 9
5:15 pm
(Benji's Momma's house)

"Wait no, Whatchu doin?" Benji asked his little sister, serenity while they played 2k

"Wait no, Whatchu doin?" Benji asked his little sister, serenity while they played 2k. I rode with him to come visit his mom and sister, something he talked about doing for a while. I watched them from the kitchen while I sat with his mom

"That girl love her some Benji" she laughed while shaking her head "that girl been smiling from ear to ear since y'all got here"

"He been talkin bout coming over here since he got out"

"Yeah..." she sighed and leaned on the counter "I'm just glad one of my babies outta jail now. Benji always been a good kid but I let him go down the wrong path and I hate that"

"No, that's not your fault. As much as I love Benji, HE knows right from wrong. He chose go down the path he went down, that had nothing to do with you"

"I know.. but as a mother ima feel that way. All I ever wanted was the best for my babies. Then that ain't of his" she laughed "she promised me she would look out for my son since he was out there near her but she goes and turns her back on him because Kyran died and she blamed it on him. Granted, Beni runs the streets and does things he's not supposed to be doing, but one thing I know for a fact is he would NEVER put his family in harms way like that. The people he keep close, he don't play about them"

"He told you about what happened with her?"

"Hell yeah he did. Well when I found out at first about Kyran getting killed I kept calling him but he didn't answer but the day before the funeral he came over here and spent the night. My baby broke down crying to me and Benji NEVER cries. That's how I knew he was really hurt"

"He didn't tell me that. I was tryina call him cause I was worried about him"

"Yeah he was over here. That's actually how I found out about you. He told me you two were dating. At first I was was iffy about it because of the other girls he used to mess around with, them lil hoes.. ion like em. All they saw was dollar signs and he was making fast money"

"Oh no. I'm not like one of them girls. I genuinely care about Benji"

"I can tell. And he always talk about you everytime we talk"

"Kay! You wanna play the game with us?" Serenity yelled from the living room

"No. I'm good"

"That's my tomboy right there" Benji's mom said while she stood up straight and went to check on the chicken she had baking in the oven "I thought when I finally had my girl she would've been a girly girl so I could dress her up but no. She'll dress up every now and then but other than that she always in cargos, sweats or jeans playing basketball or call of duty"

"When I was 10, I was Justin Bieber crazy"

She looked at me weird before chuckling

"Justin Bieber?"

"If you saw the type of people I grew up around you'd understand"

She nodded "ahhh.. okay. So you went from Justin Bieber to Benji.. that's a WHOLEEE 180"

I laughed "you right. But I might talk to Benji about him coming around his sister more. I'd even keep her for a weekend and spend time with her. She's a sweetheart"

"She is. Serenity stay on top of her schoolwork, respectful.. that's my baby"

"Serenity you wanna come stay with me one weekend and have a girls night?" I asked her as she walked into the kitchen with Benji following behind her. She stood beside me and Benji frowned

"A girls night?"

"Yeah a girls night" I responded to him and Serenity smiled

"Yeah. And we can make Benji pay for everything cause I know he got money"

"Yeah. Benji can pay for everything" I agreed with her and Benji sucked his teeth

"Benji ain paying for shit" he muttered under his breath while going to the fridge and his momma rolled her eyes

"Boy bye"

"Ooouuu Benji!" Serenity jumper a little remembering something "you wanna do me a favor?"

"It depends"

Serenity sucked her teeth and he sat down at the table with a cup of kool-aid in his hand

"Momma letting me go on the trip to Washington DC in three weeks and I need some money"

He looked at her while drinking from his cup then sat it down

"How them grades lookin?"

"Straight A's"

"You behaving?"

"Yeah"

He looked at his momma and she nodded in approval of what Serenity said then Benji picked his cup up again

"You gotta lil boyfriend?"

Serenity's eyes travelled over to her momma who just laughed and put her hand on her hip and she rubbed her lips together

"Uhhh nooooooo"

"You lyin"

"If she said she ain gotta boyfriend then she ain got one" I defended her and Benji shook his head

"I ain tryina heat none of that... what his name is?"

"I don't have one"

"Ight. Ima pop up at yo school one day and see if you lyin" he told her while he reached in his pocket pulling out money "how much you need?"

"Whatever you give me please" she smiled and Benji chuckled, counting money before pulling a couple of bills.

"Here" he reached out the money, from what I saw was at least two hundred. Serenity grabbed it hugged him

"Thank you benjiiii"

"Yeah yeah.. and tell you lil boyfriend when I find out who he is, ima beat his ass"

"Benji..."

He looked at me "What?"

"Let her live. She only 10"

"Yeah. She ONLY 10. She ain gone date until she hit 30"

Serenity backed away from Benji "30?! Ima be old by then"

"I know"

"Ain nobody paying yo brother no attention" his momma waved him off "lemme finish cooking before all y'all have to eat is chicken"

"Come on so I can beat you again Benji" serenity told him as she headed back to the living room and he stood up taking his cup with him

"Ima beat this lil girl ass"

I shook my head while his momma laughed as he walked into the living room behind her

———————

Do y'all think Benji should be more involved in his sister's life?

I was thinking about including her more into this story (being that this one is gonna have a lot more chapters than the last one) and I thought it'll be cute if her and karma form a little bond