Chapter Three:

Karma Aneli Lakes
October 25
3:15 pm

"How's Dimitri doing?" Dena asked me as we sat on FaceTime while she was in her doctors office on break and I had just finished homework

"He's good. They FINALLY gave him an official date"

"Oh forreal?"

"Yes. He'll be out on the 1st"

"That's great! I know you're excited"

"I really am" I smiled "this really has been a long year"

"I bet so" she chuckled while grabbing her water bottle and drunk from it. Being that she was left handed I realized that she wasn't wearing her wedding ring which confused me

"Ma"

She swallowed the water in her mouth "yes ma'am?"

"Everything good?"

"Uhhhh.. yeah. Why?"

"Ion know... I just ain ever see you without a ring on"

She was about to say something but somebody rushed into her office saying they needed her ASAP

"Karma, I gotta run. We'll talk later"

"Okay" I managed to get out before she quickly hung up. I sat my phone down and got off of my bed, leaving my room to go to lani's. She looked up from her phone at me as I laid on her her beside her

"Why you lookin so sad?"

"Cause.." I sighed and looked at her "I think my parents might be getting a divorce"

"What?! What made you think that?"

"Cause. Ma's not wearing her ring all of a sudden which is something that NEVER happens, and plus when I went over there the other day, they ain even acknowledge each other. I could tell something was wrong but I just figured they had a little argument or whatever"

"Well just y'all to them about it. Don't stress yourself out cause remember, you in school along with this lash tech stuff.. you'on need no more extra in your life. I know you love them but let them keep that stress"

I sat up and looked at my watch, well Benji's watch. I just took it

"You talk to Benji today?"

"Not yet. He'll probably call me around 5"

"I know you excited. Ya mans coming home next week"

I smiled and sat up a little "of course! This really been a long ass year"

"I bet so. But you can't say you ain been productive throughout this year"

"You right... As much as I hate college, ima finish too"

"Why you hate it?"

"I just never enjoyed school. All the work, unnecessary subjects or lessons.. and I'm glad I didn't go off to one of them big ass schools because I realized my attention span is short when it comes to shit like that. Instead of 30-50 people in the classes it's only like 15 or even 5 so I can feel it's more pressure to actually do my work and shit cause the teacher gone notice. Now if I was in a big class I probably would've never showed up and the teacher probably wouldn't have notice"

"Shit, me too. I wouldn't even blame you. I'm proud of you for sticking to it though"

"Thank you. Cause this shit is tiring. Trust me" I laid back down "then tell me why Benji told me yesterday that he let shy sell both of his cars"