[23]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

the morning after

Getting ready in the morning was awkward for both Angeline and Knox. Both tried to keep their eye contact at a minimum, instead keeping to themselves. The walk to breakfast wasn't much better, the pair striding into the hall in silence. Taking their respective places at the table with their friends, they immediately were bombarded with questions.

"How'd it go last night Knoxious? Did you get the girl or what?"

The silence was almost overwhelming. Angeline began to push around the eggs on her plate as Knox softly spoke into his drink cup.

"Don't wanna talk about it." The two made quick eye contact, and shifted in their seats. Charlie, who didn't seem to get the message, pressed on.

"Don't keep at the details to yourself Knoxious! C'mon give us a little taste!"

Knox jumped from his seat. "I said I didn't want to talk about it! Can we just leave it at that?" The boy soon left the table, muttering to himself as he fled the room.

All eyes turned to Angeline, who shrunk in her seat. A reassuring hand was placed on her shoulder. The girl looked over to see Steven smiling at her, rubbing his hand in a smoothing manner over her sweater.

"Don't look to me for all the answers. If Knox didn't want to share, then I surely won't!"

A chorus of groans followed her remark.

"We've been listening to the poor guy bitch and moan about this girl for months, and when they finally hang out you won't tell us how it went?"
"Give us the juice Angie, we won't tell if you spill!"
"Yeah, c'mon Angie!"

The girl shut her eyes in frustration.

"Guys leave her alone. If Ang wanted to tell us, she would. No need to pressure her." The girl opened her eyes and smiled at the boy.

"Thank you Steven." And she returned to the pile of eggs on her plate. The conversation however did not change, unfortunately.

"I think something happened last night," Charlie drawled, raising his eyebrows and leaning in. "Something between the two people who go to this school."

He takes in a short breath. "Maybe that's why they aren't telling us. To keep it a little secret."

Angeline flinched in her chair. Shaking off Steven's hand, which until then had been nicely still rested on her shoulder, the girl jumped up and hastily began to grab at her bag. Without speaking another word she left the table, walking away from the voices continuously shouting out her name.

"I can't deal with this," she muttered to herself. "Not right now."

Heading towards the mail room, the girl rushed down the hall, pushing past the people seemed to be in her way. Upon arriving, Angeline rushed to her own compartment to see a small stack of letters.

Looking around to see if anyone was watching, the girl quickly stuffed them into her school bag and quickly walked off. On her way back she passed the Dead Poets, who seemed to be looking for their two missing members. Deciding it wasn't the time for another round of jeering, Angeline knocked shoulders with Charlie as they crossed paths.

A hand shot out from the pack and made home on her wrist. Steven Meeks.
"Ang what's going on with you? You're acting very... strange."

"Just leave me alone, all of you. Please, for right now." And she ripped her wrist out of his grasp and continued her way into her dorm room.

Not to her surprise, once she opened the door Knox was lying on his bed, his face smashed into the pillow. He looked up once she entered, but returned to his position after he recognized her.

"I'm not going to class today," the boy muttered from between the pillow. Angeline chuckled and made herself comfortable on her bed.

"I don't think I will either. Don't have the strength to deal with all the others."

The boy in the pillows softly shook his fist around in agreement. He looked up once the sound of ripped paper filled the room. "What's that?"

Angeline looked up from the envelope she was not so carefully opening. "Oh it's from my mother. I'm hoping it doesn't have to do anything with you-know-what. That would really put me over the edge." She dryly laughed to herself.

Ripping through the final part of the envelope was easy. Leading the actual letter inside seemed much harder. The girl sweeper through its contents, very much aware that Knox was anxiously watching her every move.

"Oh my god."

"What is it Angie?"
No answer.
"What's it say?"

"It says... it's over Christmas break. I'm getting married in December."

"Well shit."

don't forget to comment and vote! I would appreciate some feedback! and thank you guys for reading this far, it really means a lot!

sorry for the really late update! everything has been so busy lately, i've not really had the time to do anything for fun! i really hate to leave things undone so i'm gonna try and finish this as quick as possible. i don't want to leave anyone waiting! comment and tell me what you think i really would appreciate it! much love,

<<annie>>