[32]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

one last check in

It was weird, finally having the freedom to choose what she wanted to do. Angeline didn't really know where to start. There was still a lot of paperwork to be filed and officiated, but Angeline was officially a free woman. At least, as free as she could be with Daniel as her legal guardian.

"So, when do you want to start school again?"

The two were sat in Daniel's apartment, a smallish run down place with green paint chipping from the walls. It might looked like a slight mess, but Angeline didn't care. Anything was better than where she was previously.

"Whenever, public school has always sounded interesting."

The two laughed, and continued their breakfast. Daniel's cat, a little kitten named Venus, made her way towards the man, purring softly. Daniel cooed softly at her, and began to scratch lightly behind her ears. Leaning against the kitchen counter, Angeline took a sip of the water in front of her and smiled.

"You know what, can you actually hold that thought for a second? There's somewhere I need to be right now."

The girl rushes to give Daniel a hug, and then grabs the car keys from the living room.

"But we've literally just got back to Maine! It feels like I've driving for days! It's like four in the morning!"

Daniel paused, and moved around trying to grab his stuff.

"Let me come with you. Or at least tell me where you're going."

Angeline smiled and shook the car keys, a soft jingling sound, as she stood by the door. She felt the soft fur of Venus cuddling up against her leg. Leaning down to give the kitten a small kiss, she shook her head.

"I'll be back tomorrow at the very latest. There is just some things I need to do right now."

Driving to Welton was calming for Angeline, it was first time she had been alone in a while. Lightly humming as she drove through the snowy streets gave the girl some comfort, even as the tone around her began to worsen. It seemed as though the closer she got to her old school, the more dreary the air seemed to become. And she totally understood, and it was something she welcomed. People should be sad, a tragedy had just occurred.