[14]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

day of mixed emotions

Angeline woke up with a start, full of energy. Wrapped in a large fuzzy blanket, the girl made her way towards the only window in the room, which overlooked the school's courtyard. Yawning slightly, she placed her hand on the cold glass and watched as the early rising students walked across the freshly dewy grass.

"How are you up so early Ang? It's practically dawn." Knox spoke from under the covers, having pulled them over his head to escape the light reflecting from the window.

"It's six in the morning Knoxious. And it's a Saturday." The boy groaned and rolled over, his face flush against the pillow.

"Exactly. It's a Saturday. We don't have class today, a perfect time to get some sleep." Angeline laughed and threw her blanket at the boy, who wrapped himself in it, practically drowning himself in cotton.

"I'm just feeling good today, that's all." Grabbing clothes from her small wardrobe, Angeline left the room and began to walk towards the restroom, where she could change in somewhat peace.

Pulling on an oversized sweater, one Angeline was pretty sure belonged to Todd, the girl looked herself up and down in the mirror, and smiled. Pulling her hair out of her sleeping braids, she ruffled out her hair, letting it fall across her shoulders. Winking into the mirror, and then almost immediately giggling at herself, Angeline walked out of the restroom and towards the mail room.

Checking for mail was one of Angeline's favorite things to do in the morning. Not wanting to embarrass herself with unfortunate packages like she had previously, the girl always made sure to check every couple of days. And it helped that her brother always sent her letters filled with gossip from back home, they almost made the girl feel as if she was there herself.

Angeline's mail slot held a couple envelopes, all differing in color. Picking them all up, the girl examined them closely. The one lying on top was lilac in color, topped with a white wax seal infused with small purple weeds. A letter from her brother. Switching to the one in the middle, Angeline spied a pastel pink envelope with delicate roses drawn on the back of the envelope. A letter from her aunt. The last envelope, the smallest of the three, was pale in color, with small, swirled ink in the shape of her name. Angeline rolled her eyes. A letter from Jordan.