[29]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

gathering up

Packing up her stuff didn't take Angeline as long as she thought it would. Partially because she had been slowly returning things to her suitcase under her bed, hoping Knox wasn't noticing the knick knacks that lined her side of the dorm slowly disappearing, but also because she hadn't really had the time to decorate. The only thing in her room that represented the girl was the small tin which used to hold her brother's homegrown smokes, but had been empty for months. Picking the small tin up, and examining it with a sense of dread, Angeline sighed and slid it through the small gap of her almost closed suitcase.

"We really did ourselves with this one, didn't we Dan?"

Sliding the suitcase below her bed for good measure, Angeline slowly stood up and took one last look out the window. Through the glass she could see Neil being carted away early for his play, smiling larger than the girl had ever seen. The two made eye contact, and the boy waved, his arm flailing in excitement.

The girl couldn't help but laugh and wave back just as enthusiastic. Once the boy was out of her sight, Angeline looked down. 

"One more night Angie. Let's make it count."

Standing outside the boys restroom really wasn't the excitement she had been planning. She could hear the loud yelling and laughing that was obviously going on, as well as the arrogant and snide comments being thrown. Angeline rolled her eyes, looking at the clock across the wall. If they didn't hurry up, they were going to be late. The girl had a small suspicion that Charlie was the one causing the hold up, but didn't have the courage to bust in and find out.

Wanting to pass the time, the girl decided to walk around, to take one last look at the school she'd been staying at for the last couple months. Strolling around the halls covered in alumni photos, she glided her hand across the glass, closing her eyes in contempt.

"Listening to the ghosts of Welton, Miss Scott?"

Angeline opened her eyes to see Mr. Keating in front of her, a small smile etched onto his face. The girl laughed, but nodded, and nodded in the boys direction. 

"It seems as though they hadn't known we were going out tonight. They're taking ages."

The both of them chuckled, and crossed paths.