Chapter 43

It was two days later that Lang received the next blackmail threat, delivered to his home address by the local freight company. He stood there for a moment, turning the package over and over between his hands. Then he called Martinez.

"I think this is what we've been waiting for." He handed it to him, unopened.

"Are you sure?"

Lang nodded. "You open it first, then pass anything to me that you think I need to see."

Martinez scanned the package on the off chance they could identify DNA that didn't belong to Lang or the courier, then tore off the wrapper. Inside was a disposable wristcom. They exchanged knowing glances, this was definitely what they had been waiting for. Martinez took a deep breath and activated the wristcom.

Now that he knew Lang better, the images made him even more uncomfortable than the first time he had seen them. To his vast relief, there was only about a minute's worth before the demand appeared.

He read it twice. It didn't make sense. All this, to 'lose' the evidence against the two dragon skin hunters? Admittedly, the two men faced a prison sentence if found guilty, but only two or three years maximum, less if they could pay the fine, hardly comparable with the eight to ten year sentence for blackmailing a law enforcement officer. Not to mention kidnapping or murder. It was probably another test, to see if Lang was properly cowed and obeying instructions.

Martinez made himself check what was on the rest of the wristcom after the demand. Although he skimmed it as fast as he could, he saw enough to confirm his first fears. As far as he could tell, the entire recording he had destroyed on Capella had been copied again onto this wristcom. Fuck! Pearce must have a master-copy.

Robin Lang found himself apologising to Martinez. Even though he hadn't seen it, the other man had told him what sort of recording it was.

"I'm so sorry you had to see that again, Juan. I know it makes you really uncomfortable. If it helps at all, I can't see myself ever doing anything like that again. I just can't understand how a person could enjoy hurting someone they were supposed to love. Game playing is one thing, but to actually inflict real pain ... I just don't know how I could do it."

He touched Martinez lightly on the arm to make sure he had his full attention. "I would never, ever hurt you!" Martinez stared at him, oh my god, Robin thought he was the one inflicting the pain, not the one ...

Misunderstanding the shocked look on Martinez' face, Lang backtracked hurriedly. "Sorry! I only meant ... I know you've told me you're straight, just if ... you weren't ... and we, um, sorry!"

"No, Robin, you don't understand! You're not the one who's hurting Rossi, it's the other way around!"

The colour drained from Lang's face as he realised what Martinez meant. He was the one being hurt and humiliated in the recording.

It was excruciatingly embarrassing but, on the other hand, almost a relief. He had absolutely hated the thought that he was a sadist. Maybe being a masochist was a little better, but not much! He opened his eyes. Juan was still there, looking anxiously at him. He was so near, concern all over his face. Robin couldn't help himself. He wanted to connect with someone who liked him, someone who didn't want to hurt him or expect him to hurt them. Juan was adamant he wasn't an om, but Robin had begun to wonder increasingly often if he might be bi. Just the way he handled his flirting, nervous, sure, but no sign of revulsion or disgust.

He leant forward and kissed him lightly on his sexy, full lips. Juan didn't punch him out or run away screaming, he just stood there trembling a little, his eyes wide as if mesmerised. Robin moved infinitesimally closer and kissed him again, his wet tongue sliding along the closed lips, seeking entry to his mouth, very, very gently. Juan was frozen in place, totally motionless. His lips stayed tightly closed. Okay. Maybe he was bi, maybe he wasn't. Had he just made a horrendous mistake here, was Juan going to walk out? Robin drew back slowly and cleared his throat.

"So, Pearce wants me to lose all the evidence against Myles and Wentworth, hey? I wonder why?"

"Uh." Martinez couldn't seem to speak for some reason. Unconsciously he licked his lips, tracing over where Lang had just been.

"Uh, most likely it's another test, to see if you'll follow instructions. Or maybe one of them is important to him? In some way we don't understand yet." He walked over to the console unit. "Could you get them up on the screen?"

He felt a bit unsteady on his feet oddly enough, and sat down on the nearest chair. Lang had finally made his move and he hadn't pushed him away. His emotions felt like they were caught in a wormhole, he had to think rationally about this. He had to hold it together, he couldn't fall apart just because a friend had kissed him, a friend who happened to be a man. A friend he had just seen pictures of, at first partially, then totally, naked; some of which he had found ... interesting, and some of which had actually made him want to throw up. Just before he went and killed the man who had hurt Robin, made him do those things. He honestly had absolutely no idea which feeling was going to come out on top.

All he could think to do was follow Lang's lead, pretend nothing had happened, at least until he sorted himself out.

To the relief of both men, images of the two accused came up almost instantly on the console screen. They both peered at it, very careful to keep their distance from each other. Wentworth looked as if he were in his mid twenties, an old fashioned snake tattoo down one arm which must make him extremely identifiable. Hardly the smartest thing for a would-be criminal. His short hair was black and it looked like he had a day or two's beard growth. The other man, Myles, was younger, twenty one or twenty two maybe. His hair was also black but his skin was very pale, almost white. For some reason that rang a bell with Martinez. He cast back into his memory, who else had a really pale skin?