Chapter 41

Max saw his father off the next day feeling as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Yesterday he had been living in a black fog of guilty grief and misery. Today he was on top of the world, full of hope and energy. He wondered if he had time to go and find Jae, see if Jae would talk to him, let him apologise. His mood dimmed slightly as he remembered how badly he had treated his friend. He had been down here on Capella for a couple of days now. Had he already found someone else to take Max's place? Someone who didn't try and make him feel bad all the time?

He was supposed to be back on the Qatar this morning. The shuttle was scheduled to depart at 11:00, that gave him an hour. He went straight to Patrol headquarters, only to discover that Jae was not there, he was off duty until the afternoon shift. Luckily for Max, the officer on duty recognised him and was prepared to tell him where Jae was likely to be, sleeping, in his apartment.

"He's moved in with a friend who used to be on the Qatar too. Just hold on a minute and I'll remember his name. Banner, that's it, Michael Banner." The officer was happy to give him the address.

Max made a huge effort to keep the friendly smile on his face. Did Alan know? Michael had seemed so smitten, it didn't seem possible he would be cheating on Alan so soon.

He tried to damp down the hot flare of jealousy. Maybe he was jumping to conclusions, they were probably just sharing the space. In any event, he was in absolutely no position to object to anything Jae did. He had forfeited all rights when he told him to go away and leave him alone. He found himself outside the building, shifting his weight indecisively from one foot to the other. Should he go inside and find Jae? Or just go back and wait for the shuttle?

XXX

"I found it interesting that your son didn't know you were an om," Martinez commented. They were sitting, chatting over a cup of coffee in the Revel's common room, on their way to Tian.

"Yes. I get the feeling I must have been pretty mixed up!" Lang agreed. "It's really weird, I simply don't understand my old self. The way I am now, it just feels natural, no big deal." He looked tired, his hand rubbed his forehead absentmindedly.

"Perhaps there was a reason in your past, for the way you felt. Something in your childhood or the way you were brought up? I know there are a lot of people who still consider that being an om is something to be cured or at least covered up."

"Possibly. I guess we'll never know, not unless my memory returns." He ran both hands through his hair. "Are you any good at head massages? I've got a monster of a headache threatening."

Martinez looked sharply at him. Was this a trick? But Lang did look tired, a tinge of grey in his usually golden skin, the lines around his eyes, deep and exaggerated. He remembered this was only his second day out of bed after a serious head injury.

"I could give it a try I suppose," he offered reluctantly. "I'm not going to do that in public though, let's go to your cabin."

Robin Lang kept his expression fixed all the way to his room, he only wished his head wasn't really splitting. When they arrived, he sank gratefully down into the single chair and closed his eyes, hyper aware of Martinez coming to stand behind him. He could sense him hesitating. Martinez rested his hands lightly on the top of his head then gingerly began a gentle massage. Small circles over his scalp and firm strokes around to his neck and shoulders, his thumbs working out the tension. Lang sighed and relaxed, "That's good. That's really helping."

The soothing touch of fingers in his hair, massaging his scalp, was pure heaven.

He hoped that next time he got Martinez in his bedroom, he wouldn't have a headache!

XXX

Max waited nervously outside Banner's apartment. He had flashed his ID a couple of times so, either Jae was still sound asleep, or he was ignoring him. He was just turning away when the door opened. Jae stood there rubbing his eyes, dressed in emerald green boxers and nothing else except light brown skin. Evidently green was his favourite colour. "Max? What's the matter?"

Max fought hard to keep his eyes on his face. "Can I come in? I want to apologise. And I've got something really important to tell you."

Lee considered for a moment. So Max wanted to apologise, did he? Given the way Max had treated him he ought to make him grovel a bit, shut the door in his face maybe. He looked at the blue eyes pinned hopefully on his, the curved lips pressed tightly together, waiting for his answer, the way his uniform fit snugly over his broad shoulders and ... he just couldn't do it.

"Sure, come in. It's just me, Michael's at the hospital."

"You're just sharing the apartment, aren't you?" Max burst out with what was uppermost in his mind. His gaze zeroed in on the open door to the bedroom Jae must have just left. He could see the rumpled bed, a wide one with two pillows. "You and Banner haven't ... haven't moved in together?"

"Why? I thought you weren't interested in me anymore?" Lee answered, deliberately evasive.

Max swallowed, "You're right. It's none of my business. I'm sorry though, anyway, for being so rude to you."

Jae stood there frowning, his arms folded across his chest. Max forced himself to continue.

"I'm sorry if I hurt you. I was just really messed up, thinking that my Dad was dead, that he'd you know, shot himself rather than face up to things."

"What do you mean? 'You thought he was dead'?"

"It turns out he wasn't dead after all, just badly injured. I've just seen him, he's been in hospital."

Jae's whole face lit up. "Max! That's fantastic news!" He opened his arms and pulled Max hard against him, the thought of standing back, nursing a grudge, banished from his mind.

"He's basically blind in one eye and he's lost his memory, but he's alive." Max found he was crying again. Jae held him even tighter. What had he done to deserve someone as generous as Jae? In seconds he was hugging him back, covering his mouth with kisses. "Oh Jae, I've missed you so much. I was a fucking idiot to push you away. I know I don't deserve you, but can you ever forgive me?"

Jae couldn't believe he was hearing the very words he had longed for. "I'll think about it," he murmured huskily.

Max was still kissing him, his hands caressing his body. He cupped the back of his neck with one hand and stroked the muscles of his back with the other. God he felt good, firm and sleek. He longed to slip his hands inside his boxers, fill his hands with his warmth, but he thought that might be pushing his luck. He should wait for some sign from Jae that he wanted him back.

Jae knew he should let Max go. They should have some time out before jumping into bed together. Have a conversation or two. He gripped his shoulders and pushed him back a few centimetres. Yeah, he had to tell Max to go. Except, he was so ready to take it to the next level. The rough material of Max's uniform had sensitized his skin, his nipples were already peaking, his arousal tenting his shorts.

Max could hardly miss the effect he was having on him, given what he was wearing, or not wearing.

He saw his eyes drop, heard his breathing quicken before he tore them back up to his face.

"What I'd really love to do is carry you into the bedroom and make love to you until your eyes cross over." Max smiled, then paused, maybe that was a little intense. "Or else, I can kiss you goodbye for now, and we'll go out to dinner the next time I'm on Capella. It's your choice."

Jae threw caution out into space. He smiled back. "Why not both?"

Some rather energetic time later, Max was just drifting off into a happy doze when he heard his wristcom beeping stridently at him. Lee felt his heart leap into his mouth, sweet god not again!

Max sat up fast. "Oh fuck! I'm supposed to be on the shuttle!"