Chapter 39

"Come in, Captain," called Colonel Young as Martinez flashed his ID at the door. "How did it go? Has he remembered anything?"

"No, sir. I've told him everything that happened to the best of my knowledge, but it's like he's hearing it for the first time. Can I ask what happened, sir? How did he get here?"

"I was at the hospital when they brought him in. Dr Patel was preparing the body, ready to start the autopsy when he discovered very faint signs of life. He operated immediately, reduced the swelling on the brain. As soon as it looked like Lang would pull through, I had him brought here, anonymously of course, in the hope that he'd be able to help me bring down Pearce. Either willingly or unwillingly."

"Is he under arrest? He wants to know."

Colonel Young pursed his lips. "I haven't decided yet."

"It doesn't seem fair, given his current state!" Martinez found himself protesting. "He's hardly able to defend himself."

The Colonel looked coolly at him. "My main priority at present is Pearce. I'm sure that a committed law enforcement officer like Captain Lang is happy to do whatever I order him to."

"Of course, sir, but he's worried about his son. He wants to see him. I told him I'd ask you. Would you come and talk to him, sir? He really wants to know what's happening."

"Alright, you come along. I may want your help."

Mystified, the Captain followed him back to Lang's room.

Robin Lang got in first. "I've been thinking, Colonel. I can't help you with your case against Pearce with what's in my head, but maybe I can help another way. As bait."

Young looked at him speculatively. "Continue, Captain."

"Release me, and let me return to my job in Huan. It's highly likely they'll approach me again with the threat of blackmail. I can play along, find out what they want me to do in return, and report everything to you. Help you set a trap. You can send a man with me if you like," he added persuasively.

"Actually, that idea has some merit," Colonel Young said, thoughtfully. He turned to Martinez. "Would you be prepared to go with him? Spend a month or two in Huan?"

Martinez hesitated for a minute. "Yes, sir, I think I could arrange to do that."

"Let me think about it. I'll get back to you tomorrow," Young told them, giving no inkling that he had already been planning something along similar lines. He looked at Martinez. "In the meantime, not a word to anyone else until I give you permission. And that's an order, Captain."

"Yes, sir."

Young went out, leaving them alone. Martinez was about to take his leave when Lang called him back with a final question.

"Can I ask ... what happened to the copy of the blackmail recording? Does Colonel Young have it?"

Martinez looked around to check that Colonel Young wasn't still outside in the corridor. He lowered his voice anyway. "I destroyed it, when I thought you were dead. He knows, generally, what was on it but no-one else saw it apart from me."

"Oh! Thanks. I owe you." Robin Lang looked at him in surprised gratitude.

"Well I thought it was the least I could do, seeing you decided not to shoot me."

"I shot myself rather than you," Lang said in a mediative tone. "Hmm. I know you said we weren't lovers, but it sounds like ..." he trailed off.

"Like what?" asked the other man, despite himself.

"Like I might have wanted us to be." He looked openly at Martinez and smiled.

XXX

Lieutenant Stewart greeted the news that Banner had invited Lee to share his apartment with mixed feelings. He trusted Banner, of course he did, but the thought of their constant proximity left him feeling a little uneasy. Well, to be totally honest he was jealous. Jealous of Lee being able to have breakfast with Banner, to sit down with him at the end of the day and have a drink and talk about what had happened at work, to watch him go in and out of the bathroom getting ready for bed. He wondered what, if anything Lee wore to bed. He knew Banner wore boxers but maybe he should buy him a pair of nice long, heavy-weight pyjamas, the kind that covered him from neck to ankles. Yeah, like that wouldn't be a tiny bit obvious!

He decided to go and see Captain Almeida, find out if there was any way he could speed up his transfer.

Banner smiled to himself as he ended his nightly conversation with Alan. It sounded as if his invitation to Lee was having some unexpected side benefits.

Meanwhile, Lee was sitting at a table in the All Stars sipping his drink, trying to decide whether or not to go cruising for another lover. A young blond man approached him, reminding him painfully of Max.

"Can I join you?" the stranger asked with a smile, his eyes already skimming over his body, checking him out.

"Why not?" Lee gestured to the chair opposite.

He bought him a drink and flirted a bit but his heart wasn't in it.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. "I don't think I'm very good company tonight. I don't think I'm ready to breakup with my boyfriend yet, after all."

"We could find a hotel room and make him jealous," the other man suggested with a hopeful smile.

Lee shook his head, "Thanks, but I don't think that would help!" He smiled ruefully.

Time to go home. He said goodbye and walked back to Banner's apartment. He must have it bad, he hadn't been even slightly tempted. He made a resolution to himself as he walked. For better or worse he was going to be faithful to Max for the rest of the month, then he would see. He had already decided he was not going to initiate contact with Max, even once, for the whole time he was away, give him a proper breathing space. But it was hard. He longed to see how he was going, to reassure himself that he wasn't going to do anything silly.