𝐢.𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐝𝐝𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐬

ELOWEN COULDN'T DISTINGUISH her tears from the rain as they flowed sliding down her face

ELOWEN COULDN'T DISTINGUISH her tears from the rain as they flowed sliding down her face. Her clothes were damp soaked by the time the storm ceased, although the droplets which had fallen on the largest green leaves above her remained, slowly falling on her head while she kept hiding within the grove next to the Victors' Village. The nearest place she had been able to run towards and go unseen before her mother or someone else came looking for her.

About two or three hours had gone by since Snow's appearance in every screen of Panem, and after she had managed to keep her heartbeat down and her breathing steady ─ not that she had an option under the exhaustion and her lack of sleep, Elowen had only come to two things: she would never, ever be safe. And the President's speech had proved it.

Even if she managed to escape from the Quarter Quell at the reaping, and that was a lot to say, the Capitol would always have another ace up its sleeve. A way to torture her. To keep her always and forever, under their command. And the second one: she owned the highest chances to be reaped for those games. It soon appeared to her, fate had only let her survive her first Games and laugh at her to meet her end, four years later.

Standing up with a weak and trembling balance, her heart shrink on her chest before she took hold of herself and slowly began to walk back to the neighbourhood. Well aware that the thought which had crossed her mind would have stricken Callista too by then. Yet the female wasn't about to worry about her choices, or any deal she could come up with to assure the ginger's safety ─ because she knew the woman was too kind-hearted to only care about her own. But Elowen's conditions were unnegotiable, and she wouldn't take a no for an answer.

The Village, with its five victors who lived in it ─ without counting the red-haired, was submerged in a quietness which Elowen wouldn't have thought to meet as she placed one foot after the other on her way to the Amapolerns' house. She didn't know how to expect either, though.

Perhaps she had believed she would hear yells coming from the inside of one of the residences, like the one she had released from the lowest part of her lungs before running away. Or a trail of broken things which someone would have used to deal with their anger and frustration. But the view of things continuing to be intact and like any other evening which she had remained there gave the Alenerant a single thought. None of them was surprised.

And it only made anger boil deeper in her blood, of how innocent and stupid she had been for being it herself.

The main door of Callista's home was closed when Elowen reached to their garden, opposite to how she had left her when she had crossed it and sped away. She could only imagine that, by the time she had gone missing, things had gotten somehow calmer in the Amapolern's house, and that her mother would have gone back to their own, letting herself fall on their couch and let the tears roll down her cheeks silently while she waited for her daughter to come back home. Oreth knew that going out to search for her was a lost cause.