𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝒻𝑜𝓊𝓇

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

It had been a strange day, and yet dinner hadn't even been served. Somewhere in the morning, the Cornucopia had started spinning with the tributes on it. Some had died. Johanna was okay. Then there were the Jabberjays and Johanna's snap. That had caused an awkward silence during her interview that day.

Daphne wouldn't lie and make up excuses for what Johanna had said, because she was right. She would have snapped, should have, but she tried to keep a low profile. Let people think she was just trying to get her friend back alive.

The interview had been such a disaster she'd gotten a thumbs up from Haymitch and Daniel left her alone.

That's how she found herself on the roof in the extravagant dress from her interview with her violin. The flowers were still in bloom, it was a nice day. The sun was beaming, and even high up the wind was calm.

It felt like ages she'd played the violin, she'd been too anxious to even think about the fact that she brought it. She still was, but it was accompanied by a certain sadness she couldn't quite place. With anger directed at everything and everyone, which was unfair, but also not at all.

Her emotions were like a storm she couldn't control nor let out. Everything felt wrong, and she knew she wouldn't be able to fix that as long as the games were still happening. She needed Johanna, she realized for possibly the thousandths time.

She placed the instrument under her chin and began playing. It wasn't magic, it didn't make her feel perfect and calm and at ease, but her heartbeat calmed down, and even for the shortest amount of time, she almost forgot that she was at the Capitol, playing a dangerous game.

It could have been hours or just a few seconds, but when she stopped playing, the storm had calmed down at least for a moment.

The moment turned out to be rather short, because as soon as she plucked the violin from her shoulder, a voice she detested sounded from behind her, turning her blood cold and stopping her heart for a moment.

"I've always wondered why you didn't pick the violin as your special talent," She was frozen to the bone, wanted to turn, but couldn't. "Miss Westerfall, I think we have some matters to discuss."

Swallowing hard, she slowly turned around, her hands clenched around her instrument. "President Snow. I didn't think you ever came here."

"I do not," he stepped closer, and Daphne's heart sped up, she fought the urge to step back. Snow stood near the edge, looking over the Capitol. His domain. "But I think we have some things to set straight."

"Like what?" She was proud the tremor she felt rocking through her didn't reach her voice. She sounded braver and more steady than she felt.

"Your friend, Johanna Mason isn't going to make it out alive, no matter what." His voice was calm, he didn't even look at her.