𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝑜𝓃𝑒

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

Unable to keep her leg from moving up and down, Daphne bit her lip as she watched the screen. She'd missed the bloodbath because of dressing, but had a few minutes before Daniel came to drag her away. All Daphne needed to know was that Johanna was alive.

Soon enough the stats came up, showing the fallen tributes and their final moments. Daphne let out a relieved sigh when neither Johanna and Blight appeared. Finally it was as if she could breathe again, the tightness in her chest releasing ever so slightly. Maybe she could actually do the interview.

As if on cue, Daniel appeared with a bright smile. "Come on, little movie star, wouldn't want to be late."

With a last glance at the screen, Daphne followed Daniel, feeling ready to do the interview, ready to keep Johanna alive. She didn't know much about the interview, but was surprised to see the mentors lined up to be on a stage. It took her back to her own games, the anxious feeling of having to impress at least a few people returning, along with the fact that lives were depending on how she did.

Each interview was short, but the line moved agonizingly slow. She listened to the mentors with slight interest, yet wasn't able to keep her attention on them for too long. Behind them, the games were muted but playing, their tributes displayed behind the mentors. Her eyes kept darting back to the backdrop, hoping to catch a glimpse, to be certain Johanna was still alive as she was waiting.

All it took was one second of poor attention and all would be lost. The fear of losing her, one of the few people she cared for, was paralyzing, especially when there was little she could do to help her.

As slow as the line was going, Daphne felt rushed and unprepared as she was asked to the stage, once more joined by Ceasar Flickerman. Putting on her best and prettiest smile, Daphne sat down on the couch, trying to look professional and hopeful.

"Welcome, Daphne," he said, patting her hand. "It's great to see district 7 represented by someone so young. And all alone, why is that?"

Offering him and the audience a smile, Daphne shrugged. "Well, let's just say that after the announcement no one else was exactly looking forward to coming to the Capitol."

"But you were?" In the corner of the stage, there was a little screen. She could see Johanna, Blight, Wiress, and Beetee walking through the jungle. Johanna was looking particularly distressed and annoyed.

"Johanna is my friend, I couldn't let her come without me," she looked down at her hands, twisting them together with a soft smile. "I'll do my best to get one of the district 7 tributes back home."

Ceasar smiled brightly at that, sitting back in his chair. "Do you have a strategy? Someone as young and bright as you must have something up her sleeve."

"Let's just say it'll be something that's going to be talked about for quite some time if it works," Daphne said, flashing a smile at the audience.