𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓈𝒾𝓍

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

She had to agree with Johanna; the tour was stupid and meaningless. She read cards, received flowers, drank champagne while chatting awkwardly with the Mayor, and went on to the next district.

The prep team didn't leave her hair alone; they seemed to have something against her curls, and straightened them every day. She could almost feel her hair burning.

The next district would be district nine. She would lie if she said she was not nervous. She'd killed the district nine boy in pure rage, and it hadn't been very pretty. She regretted it every day; wished she could have just slit his throat, stabbed his heart — anything that would have been a clean, fast death.

But the games did not guarantee a quick death.

Her prep team was beginning on her hair, but Daphne wildly shook her head. "Don't touch my hair,"

"But.." the smallest one began. She really should ask someone for their names. "We have to make you look beautiful. That's our job."

"I'm beautiful with my hair naturally," Daphne got up from the chair, holding the robe tightly around her.

"That's true —" the other one said.

"Then what's the fucking problem?" She interrupted, turning to the jumpsuit Gwendolyn had made for her. "I can dress myself."

Silently, the team left the room, and she began getting dressed. Daphne was halfway through pulling the jumpsuit up when the door slipped open. She turned around, doing her best to pull the tight fabric over her as soon as she could.

"They should have an 'I'm naked sign'," she said, respectfully looking away until Daphne gave the sign.

"Most people just knock," she tried to get the zipper, but couldn't reach it. Turned out she did need the Capitol fools to get dressed. "Zip me up?"

Johanna stepped closer, and Daphne turned to the mirror. She watched as the other woman pulled her dress up, and had to admit she looked rather nice. She was wearing a dress and a green coat, similar to the one she'd worn on the day they left for the tour.

"There you go," Johanna stepped back and gave her a long look. "Your hair looks better like this."

She felt strangely flattered by words that didn't necessarily carry a nice tone. "I know, almost had to cut their hands off to leave it," Daphne turned to her dresser and picked out a few rings.

"Why do you wear those things, anyway?"

"Why are you so nosy?" She shot back. Johanna raised an eyebrow and shrugged, sitting down on the armchair in the corner of the room. "You look nice."

She looked up from the threat she was inspecting. "What?"

Daphne chuckled, pushing a stray curl away after she put on the last ring. "You just look extra pretty today," she rested her hip against the dresser and a slow smirk appeared on her lips. "Don't tell me there's someone in district nine —"