𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎 𝒻𝒾𝓋𝑒

The only thing that ensured her time was passing, was Johanna's calm breathing behind her

The only thing that ensured her time was passing, was Johanna's calm breathing behind her. Daphne could have been awake for hours by now, her mind running wild. She wasn't ready to say goodbye yet. She'd never be, probably. Not like this, not once more letting her step into danger while Daphne was forced to stay behind and watch it all unfold. 

Their conversation from just a day before stayed in her mind, too. Johanna was afraid. Never before had she admitted to that, not even about the Quell. If even Johanna was scared, what hope was there? 

No, Daphne could not stay behind. Even if it would be her last breath, she wanted to be with Johanna. They'd only just found each other again. 

So, when the lights were still not on by the time her hip began to itch for movement, she got up. It was stupid and dumb, but they could hardly sent her back when they found out she'd travelled with them. Even that was a risk she was willing to take. 

Daphne put on her grey overall, not great for going into the wolf's den, but it would have to do. She knew which hoover the Victors were assigned. She knew how to get there, but that was where her plan ended. In fact, there wasn't much of a plan. It was impulsive and stupid, but she opened the door anyways. 

"What are you doing?" The sleepy voice of Johanna came, followed by the rustle of the thin blanket. She didn't dare turn around, guilt all over her face. "Daphne," she urged, suddenly more awake, a sharp edge to her voice. 

She breathed out, turning around after shutting the door once more. "Go back to sleep, Johanna, it's nothing." 

The other woman rose, despite her words. The room was poorly lit, and more than a shape wasn't visible. "Nothing?" Johanna sounded wide awake. "What were you going to do, Daphne? Get in a hovercraft and get yourself killed?" 

She hadn't thought about it like that, but basically, that had been what she intended to do. Hopefully not dying, but she wasn't really afraid of death anyway. She didn't answer, which told Johanna enough.

"You're serious," Johanna said, tense shoulders dropping in shock. "You wanted to sneak on a hoover? Have you lost your mind? Coin would call you back or have you killed if she thinks you're a danger to her mission." With each word, she sounded more heated, and with each word, Daphne felt dumber. 

She hadn't thought it through, obviously. The thought had surfaced and she'd acted upon it. "Well, maybe she wouldn't!" Daphne said. She did this for the both of them, was that so hard to see? "You said yourself you didn't want to go without me, I'm trying to make that happen. I can't watch you run into danger again while I'm stuck doing nothing and seeing you die again!" 

"I didn't die," Johanna dismissed the argument. "And I won't die now, we're not even getting to Snow, it's just some clips-" 

"It's not!" Daphne surprised herself. "That's what Coin wants, but most of your little group are Victors, they're not used to not fighting the battles themselves."