𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎 𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

The explosions went off and Daphne waited for the signal from their commander

The explosions went off and Daphne waited for the signal from their commander. The moment seemed to stretch longer and longer, her heart already beating faster with adrenaline. She'd never been as ready for something as she was at that moment. 

By the time Elliot gave the signal and the hatch opened, more explosions had gone off, each vibrating through her body. With the gun held close to her chest, Daphne held on to the ladder, feeling frozen in place as it was lowered. 

Beside her weren't many people she knew. Gale was in another Hoover, and she was the only Victor deemed fit to fight. It had taken a lot of arguing before she was allowed to help like that. As her feet hit the grass behind Snow's mansion, she knew it was the right decision. Peacekeepers were guarding the doors, but the explosions seemed to have done their jobs at causing a distraction. 

The soldiers before her took their shots, and they moved forward. The plan had been easy; get inside as fast and silent as possible, locate Snow and capture him. Gale said the distractions would be enough. Said there would be minimal fighting. Daphne didn't know if she was happy about that, somehow aching to make the Capitol hurt as much as they'd hurt her. 

Most of all, she felt alive as they split up and crept further into the mansion. By now, the peacekeepers and Snow probably knew they were inside. But if there was a safe room, they sure as hell would find it.

More explosions went off, and Daphne halted her movements. There weren't supposed to be more explosions. "What's that?"

Was the Capitol bombing them? Their own people? Thirteen's soldiers weren't on the streets. "It's part of the plan," the soldier behind her whispered. "Don't worry about it."

Daphne hadn't known about that. What else had they decided without her? The other soldiers kept walking forwards, and though Daphne's thoughts were scrambled, she followed along as she tried to bring her focus back.

All that mattered now was locking Snow up and putting him away.

Their part of the group had been assigned floor zero, and all that was left were big white doors in the eastern wall. Those who had left to check the remaining few rooms soon returned, and with shared glances and a nod, they made their way over to the door. 

Each step sounded loud on the marble floor, Daphne's blood was rushing through her so loudly, she could hear it in her own ears. Her heart was beating in her throat and her grip on the gun tightened. She hoped Snow was in there, that she could finally help bring justice. 

The first soldier pushed the doors open, the smell of roses was almost overwhelming. A sea of white flowers stretched out before them. Neat and cared for. The inside garden seemed to stretch on forever, the other side not even visible. 

Without a word, they split up in duo's going different directions. The silence wasn't needed, the door had been opened with a bang. If Snow was in here, he knew they were in here.