𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝑒𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉

•*•

.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.

The districts passed in a blur, a blur of feeling uncomfortable, nightmares, and a lot of Johanna. It had been the right choice to ask her to come, for she was the only thing that pulled her through the whole tour.

Johanna was always there. She didn't offer meaningless words, instead, she was just there. She was there, and that was all Daphne needed.

She would forever be in her debt for the things she'd done for her, although Johanna probably didn't even realize it.

It was too soon when Gwendolyn and the prep team began preparing her for the Capitol party. It would be her prettiest dress yet; it was a deep green ball gown made out of silk. With half an ear open, she listened to their meaningless chatter and let Gwendolyn help her in the dress. The fabric was heavy and rich, but when she looked in the mirror, she couldn't deny she hadn't looked as beautiful in a long time, maybe ever.

The color complimented her skin, her hair was left in its curls, just refined. Daphne's makeup was heavy on the eyes, which made her look a little bit older. The strappy heels were difficult to walk in, but she stood taller, and finally had that air of confidence back around her. She wished she'd worn this dress to the interviews. She felt as if she could conquer the world.

With confidence oozing from every inch of her body, she left her chambers.

"I like the attitude," Daniel noted with an amused look.

"I'm not sure if you will once we get to the party," she said with a grin. Oh, how she'd have fun tonight, despite everything.

Gwendolyn had followed her to admire her creation, a genuine smile on her normally tight face. "This dress was made for you," she pointed out as Daphne slowly twirled around upon Daniel's request. She looked happy. "I'm glad so many people will see you like this. You're glowing."

"Who's glowing?" Johanna's head popped up from behind the tall stylist, drawn out of her chambers by the commotion that was happening in the other room. If Daphne had paid more attention, she might have noticed how her eyes almost doubled in size for a moment, or how she sucked in a breath. "Well..."

Daphne then turned her attention to Johanna, and smiled happily, as if she hadn't been crying hours ago, deep in the night when she thought no one would hear. "Obviously Daniel, right? Look at him!"

He shook his head with a chuckle, but Johanna wasn't planning on paying attention to him. "You're going to have eyes on you all night,"

"Well, that was going to happen anyway, even if I looked hideous," she walked to one of the windows, looking outside. The sun was setting, and the Capitol was nearing them. "Maybe now people will want to dance with me."

"Capitol citizens," Johanna pointed out, walking past the stylist to sit on one of the couches. "Wouldn't be too happy about it."

Daphne didn't answer for a moment, but turned towards her with a smile. "I'd rather dance with you."