(4) Vren

When Vren asked his friend Nathaniel Forester to have a drink with him, he half expected him to decline

When Vren asked his friend Nathaniel Forester to have a drink with him, he half expected him to decline. He gets that he has kids to spend his time more productively, and don't forget the beautiful Chassie George he's happily married to.

It's not like Vren Parkinson is the type to settle down. However, something gnaws at him like an insistent itch he couldn't scratch. It was wise to shun commitments when he was younger. But now that he's lagging behind his friends, it isn't fun as it used to be – not that it makes him any lesser than a bachelor that he was once proud to be.

"Where are your kids?" Vren noticed the lack of cherubic cheer from a mile away. Hell, he would've noticed over the phone when he talked to his friend.

"At my parents. But they'll be home soon." He took a swig from his bottle of beer and glanced at the swimming pool.

It was predictable to be invited for a few drinks at his house by the swimming pool. He'll never have the heart to leave his wife alone... even with the help. He's that sort of a family man. And a devoted husband. "That doesn't leave us enough time for skinny dipping, does it?" He feigned disappointment.

Nathaniel chuckled. "Don't make this weird."

"This is anything but weird." He shrugs. Of course, he was kidding.

His friend shakes his head as he glances down to his watch. "What are we having these drinks for? What mess have you gotten yourself into this time?"

"Am I really that readable?" A wry smile curved his lips.

Nathaniel sits back on his chair. "Yes."

"Damn. I thought chicks dig me for being unpredictable."

"Do I look like someone loaded with estrogen? Come on. Just tell me."

Vren lets out a laugh. He traces the condensation on his bottle of beer and anticipated how the words were going to sound aloud – not just in his head. "I may or may not have gotten Audrey pregnant."

"Right." He held back a laugh.

"No. I'm not fooling around. I swear." His hand smoothed down his hair.

"Wait, you really did?" Nathaniel narrows his eyes on him like he was an organism in a specimen jar. "You may have gotten Audrey pregnant."

He could only answer with a nod.

"The Audrey Danler?" A female voice came from the sliding doors of the kitchen. "Wait a minute. Is that why you were trying to reach her?"

Great. Now a female brain is on the mix. Maybe he can finally figure out an enigma of a woman that is Audrey Danler.

"Audrey Danler slept with you?" Chassie was on her husband's side before he can even register the fact that she was eavesdropping on them.

He sighed. This is harder than he thought. "Can we please be fair here? We slept together."