(8) Vren - REVISED

***Her Right Mistake is also available on Inkitt. You can check it out by clicking on the link on my profile. It would mean so much to me. 💕

Vren sipped his whiskey and re-read the text his secretary sent him

Vren sipped his whiskey and re-read the text his secretary sent him. He'd hoped Audrey would call him herself but just add it to the pile of his disappointments.

Disappointments aside though, he was nervous.

Hell, he couldn't stand to be in a crowd right now. So, instead of staying by his mother's side as he promised, he went to hide on the terrace.

It's her birthday. Sure enough, she's thrown a huge party with every single person she knows at it. Knowing his mother, she's met more people in her life than he could count. From where he was standing, they looked like scattered glitters on an empty canvas.

Vren saw a shadow behind him. He turns around only to find Kathie looking like she was about to run. "Sorry. I don't know you're in here."

"Hey. I don't mind sharing the terrace."

Kathie fiddled with her wedding ring. "Nah, I don't want to intrude."

"Come on, it's just me." Vren tries not to look bothered by the fact that his sister-in-law is a bit off.

"Oh, okay." She stepped onto the terrace. Her eyes roamed around the garden as if she was looking for someone.

"Are you okay?"

Kathie turned to him with a smile. "Of course. And You?"

"I'm great. Where's my brother—you know, the one who doesn't like parties like this?"

She laughed nervously. "I was craving a cupcake, so Cadey went to grab me one."

Vren smiled at the thought of his brother getting bossed around by his wife. Not so long ago he thought that it was never for him, but he reconsiders every time he sees his older brother with his wife.

Kathie took her phone out of her clutch and then texted away a message.

The silence gave him the time to take a stroll down memory lane, which he's been doing for the past few weeks since that meeting with Audrey.

He knew that 'not messing with her appointment ever again' meant 'don't try to contact me, you ass.' Hey, he can read between the lines. He'd be lying if it didn't bruise his ego just a little.

Since he agreed to leave her alone, he had all the time to look her up instead. The woman is never linked to anyone. She's totally deprived the whole men population of a single date.

He probably read all articles about her—online and in print! Still, nothing. All he knows is she's one of the most successful self-made women in the city.

Vren couldn't help the thought that he might've sullied her pristine career.

However, there were harsh critics alongside the public praise. Some articles even sounded like they were coming from a group of misogynistic pricks.

They called her a success freak, a cold bitch, or an ice queen. They were not even the harshest ones. Some articles described her as an overcritical perfectionist, egomaniac, heartless, and megalomaniac.

"Vren?" Kathie's voice snapped him out of his thoughts.

"What's up?"

She giggles. "Nothing. I think you just spaced out."

"It's unlike you to not be enjoying a party," he kidded.

Kathie glanced at her phone. "I'm in the mood to people-watch. How about you? Why aren't you at the party?"

"Can you keep a secret?" He leans closer.

She laughed, nervous again. "I've been told that I can't."

"Well, I'll tell you anyway. I just have a lot on my mind to enjoy the party." He took a swig of his whiskey.

"Oh." She fidgets with her wedding ring. She tips her head to one side as if she was wondering what was on his mind. She didn't ask though.

"There you are. I've been looking all over for you." A voice came from behind them.

Kathie's smile widened at the sight of her husband. She sighed in relief. "Sorry. I was on my way to the spot, but I saw Vren."

Vren wanted to ask what the spot was but he decided against it. Besides, Cade had the same reaction as his wife when he made eye contact with him—he looked like he was going to run for the hills.

What's going on?

"Where's my cupcake?" She chirped.

Cade walked toward them, handing the chocolate cupcake to his wife.

Kathie took a huge bite, enough to stuff her whole mouth with it.

He convinced himself that it wasn't weird. And that the couple is usually this weird. He couldn't be sure about Kathie, but he knows when his brother is hiding something.

Cade couldn't look him straight in the eye.

He leaned against the railing and regarded the couple with a curious look. "Do you guys know something I don't know?"

Of course, it was supposed to be a joke.

Kathie tried not to choke on her cupcake. His brother panicked. "Sweetheart, are you okay? Crap, I should have grabbed some water."

Kathie shook her head and told him she was fine. Even when her face turned all red. "I need to go back to the party. My friends might be looking for me."

"Okay. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Mm-hmm. Never been better." Kathie waved at him before turning to Cade. She clutched her hand around his arm and they both walked off in a hurry.

He tried not to laugh. Maybe he'll go to the party after all.

Vren left his parent's house and made it into the garden. His eyes idly swept through huddles after huddles of guests. He didn't mean to look for a tall platinum blonde but there he was: trying to find her in a sea of crowds.

He ended up by the swimming pool. He refused the small talk. Nathan Forester already went home to his wife, so he had no one to have that longgg chat with.

From a distance, there was his mother with his younger siblings: Matthew, Andrei, and Inchinandra. Christian was nowhere to be seen. He's here... somewhere.

His mother waved someone over. And just his luck, Audrey Danler appeared through a parting crowd. Jessica and Kylie were in tow.

Audrey had on a sweetheart cut dress in sapphire blue with a decent slit on her right leg. Her hair was pulled back in a bun—no surprise there.

She looks untouchable.

Right now, he even doubts himself if he ever did have his hands on that pristine art of a woman.

Audrey walked toward his mother. For the first time since he met her, a full smile broke into her cold disposition.

Damn, she's gorgeous.

The smile wasn't even meant for him, yet his knees were buckling like a high school kid's. He had no idea what he was going to do about it.

The woman is taking his breath away.