Introductions and a Rejection

Karen and Sarah drove up to my house at six oh five. I was pretty correct on the time, I'm just that good. I smirked and walked out to meet them. I open the passenger door and Sarah immediately jumped into my arms screaming, "I missed you, Der!"

I chuckled, "I missed you too little one." I carry her inside, Karen following behind me. I notice Bailey in her front yard glaring at Karen and I motioned for her to join us. Karen looks over and sees Bailey and smiles. I don't think Karen's the malicious type, but I really don't know her as a person, so I wasn't going to make assumptions yet.

"Der, who's that?" Sarah asks me.

"She's...a new friend. I met her last night. She lives in that big house down the street. Her and a lot of her friends live there," I tell her.

"Why do they live together?"

"Umm...well, her dad had a lot of money, like our parents did, and he helped people out. Since his dad owned the mansion before him, he decided to let some people stay there. Now, he's gone, and Bailey does the same," I lie. I couldn't exactly tell her the truth with Karen still there.

By now we were in the kitchen. "Der, I'm hungry," Sarah complains. My eye twitches, "I want spaghetti."

I bust out laughing. Spaghetti was her second favorite food, macroni being her first. "Okay, Bailey, Karen, sound good to you guys?"

"Yeah" "Yup" came their replies.

"Bailey, you want to call Kyle and Devin? We still have stuff to discuss. We can talk business after dinner in my office."

Bailey nods in agreement. She gets up, walking out of the room, a phone in her hand. I knew she was going to use the pack mind link, but she had to make it look like she was actually "calling" so Karen wasn't any the wiser.

"They're coming over. Kyle's just got to convince Devin to wash up a little bit before hand. I guess about ten or fifteen minutes before they get here."

I nod and walk into the kitchen and open the pantry to get the noddles and spices and herbs to start dinner. "That's okay, spaghetti's going to take thirty minutes to finish. The sauce takes the longest."

Karen comes around the bar, "You want help," she asks. I'm not sure, but it seemed slightly flirtacious. I didn't really like it, and I certainly didn't like her like that, but I was stuck with her because of Sarah.

Sarah comes to my rescue though, and I feel Bailey's eyes burning a hole in my head, waiting for my answer. "No, I help Derreck with dinner."

I smile down at her. "Well, if you want to help then, get in here and wash your hands, missy."

She giggles and washes her hands. "I know what to do!" she squeals running around, checking all the cupboards, trying to find the big pot. She shouts in triumph when she finds it and rushes it to the stove. By now, I had the different kinds of tomato cans pulled from the pantry and opened. I proceeded to dump them into the pot, filling it about halfway. While I did that, Sarah was finding me a cutting board and a knife.

I chopped up sausage and threw that into the pot once it started coming to a slight boil, and then crumbled in hamburger as well. Kyle and Devin walked in while this process was going on. With ten minutes of cooking left for the sauce, I pulled out another pot, not quite as large as the one for the sauce, and put water into, and proceeded to get it to a boil. Once boiling, I dumped three boxes of noodles into it.

"Do you really think we're going to eat all that," piped up Karen.

I smirked at her, "Have you seen how much this little rascal can eat?" I ask, tussling Sarah's hair.