My Unusual Mate

I touched down at the closest airport to Farris five hours later. I still had a three hour drive ahead of myself just to reach it, and immediately got started. Zander was on the prowl, so obviously something had him agitated. 'What is it, Zander?'

'I don't know, but I have a feeling something very good, and very, very bad is about to happen.' Great, that's just what I wanted to hear. 'I know, but it's the truth.'

'Urgh, Zander...what have I told you about reading my thoughts?' I ask.

'Well I can't help it! I'm in your head, and you're in mine. You left the connection open,' he growls at me, before closing himself off in the back of my mind. He was right. I couldn't really get mad at him. I had left our connection open, not him. Damn it, why did he have to be so right all the time? I had to meet someone on the way to Faris, at some fast food joint.

When I pulled in there, I met a woman who gave me my bag of weapons. In it was a Sig, two Beretta pistols, a RC-50 bolt action sniper rifle that fired .50 BMC rounds, an AR15, a whole bunch of accessories for these guns like different scopes and laser pointers and under barrel attachments, daggers of varying sizes and lengths, and ammo cases and magazines for the guns. The bullets were all silver laced with wolfsbane and the daggers were silver dipped in it. It was getting extremely dangerous. As far as I knew from my own research, all shifters were allergic to silver to different degrees, just werewolves more so. And wolfsbane was like pure poison to them.

I wasn't sure if they thought I was incompetent or if things were worse than they were telling me. So, alright, they said I had to take care of the rogue problem as well, but still, I think all that ammo was overkill. I was insulted that they didn't trust my abilities.

As I approached the town, the forest flashed by. A blur of movement caught my attention. It was a wolf, and I could tell it was a rogue by the stench of garbage. They were really close to pack territory. I wasn't too concerned, I would deal with them soon enough. The BH had called me during my three and a half hour drive and informed me that this would be a much longer stay than they had originally thought. NO, they had lied to me, but I let it go.

They bought a house for me, down the street from the pack house. It was nice, a little two story thing, complete with furnishings and clothes and food. I went over their heads to piss them off and get back at them by arranging a flight out here for Sarah and that nanny. The flight was tomorrow and they should get here by six in the evening, meaning I had to scope out all of the area tonight.

Pulling into "my" driveway, I parked and got out, taking my bag of weapons with me. It looked like just a regular old gym bag, so no one would be the wiser. I make my way in and set the bag out on the couch. I start rummaging through the cupboards for something to eat and just settled on a bowl of cereal. Once finished I started to wash the bowl and spoon in the sink. Just as I was putting them away, the doorbell rang.

I opened it to find two boys staring at me, spitting images of each other, and both werewolves. On closer inspection, I noticed slight differences, like the eye color and the one younger one, around ten, had some freckles. The older one was definitely tanner. He looked at me and pulled back his lips in a soundless snarl. "What are you doing on pack territory?"

"Hmm...well, considering I'm not a wolf, you have no precedence over me. I can come and go anywhere as I please."

The little one looked up at me, "You're a shifter like me."

I chuckled, "Kind of. Now, if you get your older brother to calm down and come in, then I can tell him why I'm here."

The little boy looked up at his older brother with big beady eyes. "Fine. The names Kyle and this is Devin." I motion for them to come in and he pushes past me. I hold back a snarl, but Zander doesn't like the disrespect.