Chapter 13

Charles walked over to us, scowling after Josh had left. He saw that the plate of food I had was untouched, and his scowl deepened.

"She needed the stuff, and it would have been too late to give it to her," I said. I gestured to the food, knowing what he was thinking. "I need some fire."

"There is a big chimney right there," Charles said, pointing to the chimney where a pot of something was hanging. "Do it there."

"Uh, I can't," I said, raising an eyebrow.

Charles huffed but nodded toward the back. "You and your rituals," he scowled, and I shrugged. "Why did you let him go that way? It's dangerous."

"Not for him. He is under my care." I took the bowl off the table and went to the back, followed by the Ären and Charles. "I gave it to him."

"And you think that it will protect him? Some people will think he had stolen it. If that kid gets hurt..."

"Then I find them and hurt them," I said. "And, if he is out and about and sees the feather, then he will help him."

"He better be out," Charles muttered. He watched as I placed food into the fire and watched as it had changed colors. He stayed silent, knowing that it was the right thing to do as I prayed for the people around me but not for myself.

"He is," I replied, knowing full well the person would be out. "If he is not, then it will be surprising." I went back to the table, followed by Charles and the Ären, and started to eat the food in front of me greedily.

The Ären watched as I ate and started to eat too, his traditions more formal than ours. He was silent about the whole ordeal, and I couldn't help but what he thought about it.

"What do you say?" I asked, looking at him. I was halfway done with the bowl, and I could tell that Charles was smirking at me as if he knew that I had been hungry.

The Ären raised his eyebrow and paused in his eating. Slowly, he ate what he had in his mouth and cleared his throat. "Are you implying that I know who you are talking about?" he asked, and I nodded in confirmation. "How come?"

"Because," I replied. "You are not asking who "he" is, and I am sure that you have seen the marking before."

"I have," he confirmed. "And, I know the man that has it." He took another bite of his food and cleared his throat. "How do you know him?"

"He saved my life," I replied. I set my jaw, not really wanting to talk about it. It was still painful, to be honest. I had lost two of my family members on the night I had met him, and I missed them dearly. "I am not going to ask how you know him," I added, knowing that he was thinking about that.

The Ären nodded his head, looking satisfied. He seemed to know that I didn't want to talk about how I had met him, but I could tell that he was curious.

I would be too, for the man with the mark was a curious and mysterious person. He showed up when he was needed and sometimes when he wasn't, sometimes causing mayhem. He was known around the backways and in the forest, and no one really knew his real name.

He went by many names, but I just called him Silan, which roughly translated to 'Witch-Master' or 'Warlock.' He seemed to be pleased with that name, so it stuck, and I was the only one that could call him that, for some reason.

I finished the rest of my meal and showed the bowl to Charles. I was full and happy, but I felt slightly guilty, for I didn't save any for my family. "Can I go now?" I asked, cocking my head. "Please?"

Charles frowned and looked at me. He knew how I felt and knew that I was feeling guilty for eating and not saving some for my family. He sighed and nodded toward the light. "It's off, so that means he's ready for you."

"Thank you," I said, sighing with relief. I hopped out of the seat and started to make my way toward the meeting room we normally met in. However, I stopped and turned around before bowing deeply to the Ären. "Thank you for the meal, Ären. I hope the sun shines, and the path is always green."

The Ären nodded and took a sip of his drink. He held up his glass to me, and I could tell that he was satisfied that I had remembered the greeting. "Until we meet again," he said before turning away from me and signaling the end of our conversation.

I nodded and went to see Jonah, hoping that he would have news for me. If he didn't, then I had no idea what I would do with the egg and who to ask.

He was my only hope.