Chapter 55

Jonah looked up when I made my way toward him again, Ilas not with him, and my heart broke. He offered me a tight smile before he slowly tucked his head closer to his chest but didn't say a word.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and sat down on the other side of the table, placing the food in front of him.

"Mmmm," Jonah said and licked his lips when I set the food down in front of him before he looked at me, again. "Did you tell Maron that I said thank you?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

I bit back an annoyed sigh before I slowly nodded. "She knows," I said before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "She's going to pack the other one up for my mother if I can't find Ilas."

Jonah set his jaw and slowly nodded while he grabbed his fork and started to eat it. "Take it to your mother and don't go find him," he said, and I paused in grabbing my fork and narrowed my eyes while I stared at him.

"J-"

"Hush," he said, interrupting me while he scowled and narrowed his eyes, pausing in eating his food, and I hesitated and looked down a little, not saying a word. "Don't argue with me, Marini, and don't go find him, ok?"

My heart ached a little, and I pressed my lips into a thinner line. I didn't say a word while I looked at him, not liking the idea of not finding him and making sure that he was actually safe.

Jonah sighed and moved a hand through his hair before he shook his head and cleared his throat. "He is safe and fine. You have work to do before you come back here, correct?"

I pressed my lips into a thinner line before I slowly nodded. "Ok," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. "I won't go after him."

Jonah bit back a small sigh of relief before he slowly nodded, his shoulders sagging. "Good," he said before he cleared his throat again and shifted in his seat. "Now, how much stuff do you have left to do?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question while he changed the subject.

I grimaced and shook my head. "Not much," I said before I moved a hand through my hair and sighed. "I have to give my mother Toran's shirt and see if she wants to do it or if she wants me to do it. After that, I don't think I have anything else to do, thankfully."

"Hmmmm." He slowly nodded and pressed his lips into a thin line. "You need to make sure that your friend knows where to meet you." He winked at me teasingly, and my cheeks instantly went red while I looked away from him.

"Very funny, Jonah," I said coldly while I turned to look at him again, and he chuckled and slowly nodded. "Why must I make sure that he knows where we need to go when his friend will do that?" I asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

Jonah shrugged and took a bite of his food. "He might not know either," he said, even though I didn't believe him, and I had a feeling that he didn't believe himself either.

My teacher chuckled and leaned back in his seat, amused. "Yes, of course, I don't believe myself either," he said before he cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, growing serious. "However, the point still remains, Marini, you are not allowed to go after him. Is that understood?" He scowled and narrowed his eyes, talking about Ilas, and I held back an eye roll.

"Yes, yes, I believe that we have discussed that, Jonah," I said and pressed my lips into a thin line while I narrowed my eyes and scowled. "I do not know why you are saying it again when we both know that I can't go after him."

"I wanted to be sure," he said and shrugged before he cleared his throat and took a sip of his drink. "You have a mind of your own and tend to do these things your way without thinking about the repercussions of your actions."

I bit back a small scoff and rolled my eyes, annoyed while I scowled. "Very funny, Jonah," I seethed, and he grinned, amused. "It is not due to the fact that I am not thinking about my actions, but I am thinking about the future and what the future holds for us if we do certain things."

"And that is exactly the reason as to wh-"

"Jonah," I warned, interrupting him, and the older male's grin grew wider. I scowled and narrowed my eyes further. "Stop, please. I beg of you. I do not need to be reminded of what I need to do or not need to do."

"Hmph." Jonah smirked and folded his arms across his chest while he leaned back in his seat. He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat while he slowly blinked. "Are you almost ready to go?" he asked and raised an eyebrow in question.

I bit back a small sigh and nodded, finishing the rest of my food. "Yes," I said before I cleared my throat and stood, and Jonah stood as well, even though he hadn't finished the rest of his food. "We'll talk more about what happened, later, ok?" I raised an eyebrow in question. "With our other friend?"

"Of course," he confirmed and nodded. He held out his arms to give me a hug, and I held back an eye roll but went into his arms, letting him hug me. "I will see you when you get back, ok?" he said and placed a kiss on my head. "Don't try to get into any more fights, please?"

I bit back a small sigh and slowly nodded. "I'll try not to, Johan," I mumbled before I cleared my throat and bit the inside of my lip. "I didn't even get into a fight when this happened. It... just did..."

"Hmph." He pulled me away from him and looked me in the eyes, trying to see if he would be able to know what happened to me without me telling him, and I made sure to keep my face blank while I looked at him, not giving him any secrets that he wanted.

Finally, he sighed and nodded, knowing that he wouldn't get anything from me and released my arms. "Well, we don't need you to die... yet." He flashed me a small smirk and a wink, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

"Very funny, Jonah," I grumbled and walked over to my basket. I grabbed it and pulled it out from underneath the table before I looked at him with a small smirk on my face, my eyes flashing. "If anyone tries to kill me, then they will have to die first."

And with that, I excused myself from the area and left, leaving a laughing male in my wake.