Chapter 11

Finally, the crowds dispersed into different directions, and I was finally able to make my way towards the pub. My annoyance level was high because I knew that I was late, and my patience for everybody was wearing thin.

Thankfully, I had made it to the pub without any other interruptions. I pursed my lips when I noticed a flame in a glass, signaling that Jonah was in a meeting. "Great," I muttered, opening the door and walking in.

The patrons of the pub looked up when I walked in and nodded their heads to me. They turned back to their conversations, leaving me to myself as I moved towards the bar counter.

The male at the counter smiled and bowed his head to me. He was cleaning a glass, making sure that everything was spotless. "He's in a meeting right now," he said when I sat down.

"I know, Charles," I said, setting my basket on the chair beside me. "I saw the light in the doorway. Do you know who he is in a meeting with? I am far behind schedule, and if I am not done soon, then I will have to complete stuff in the dark."

Charles shrugged his shoulder. "Haven't been told," he said, and I huffed in annoyance. "Nor have I heard anything." He smiled apologetically and leaned forward. "So, why are you late?"

I scowled, and he smiled innocently at me. "Prince Caspian was in the Forbidden Forest," I said, my voice growing softer. "He is alive and well. The parade stopped me in his honor as the guards lead him home."

"What happened?" he asked, his voice becoming softer. He scowled when I shook my head. "Come on, Marini, I won't tell anyone."

"I know, Charles," I said. "But, it would be best if I talked to Jonah first. You know that he gets jealous when I don't tell him the latest gossip about me to him first."

Charles snorted and nodded his head. He glanced to my side when a hooded figure sat down beside me. His face grew darker, but he didn't do anything when I grunted. "Water?" he asked, and I nodded.

"Get whatever they're getting, too," I said, taking some of the money that I had left over. I was about to put it on the counter when the sound of coins being dropped onto the counter stopped me from doing it.

Both Charles and I looked at the hooded figure as their arm disappeared back to their side. We stayed silent as we watched the person, wondering what they were going to do or say next.

"Make it two glasses of water," the person, a male, said. "Keep the change."

Charles and I looked at each other. He waited until I nodded my head for him to get them. He knew that I was not too fond of it when people paid for me, so he was waiting for my permission. "They'll be right out," he said. He set the glass where it belonged and took the coins off of the table.

The male watched Charles walk away before glancing at me. Piercing green eyes studied me from underneath the cloak, the only feature that I could be seen. "How did you get the necklace?" he asked, his voice turning soft. He still spoke in the tongue that we used, but I knew that he was an Elf.

I shifted in my seat and stuck a leg underneath my other one. I turned my gaze away from him and watched as Charles started to fill up the water, his head cocked towards me. "I was given it," I replied.

"By?"

I turned to look at him and scowled. "You know who," I replied. My stomach made a soft noise, and I set my jaw and looked away from the male. I was hungry, but I knew that my siblings would need the rest of the stew that I had made.

The male made a signal, and Charles walked over us. He nodded his head when Charles placed the drinks in front of us. "Get her some food. I will pay for it."

I shook my head. "No," I said. "I ate last night. I will eat later after my family has eaten."

"Get it for her," the male said. He gave me a pointed look, and I shut my mouth.

"Then, I hope that you eat with me," I said. I leaned back in my seat and looked at Charles with a raised eyebrow.

Charles shook his head, and I groaned in annoyance and placed my head on the table. "Anything else?" Charles asked, and I knew that he was looking at the cloaked male.

"No."

"Then it will be right out."