Chapter 49

I walked into the Pub after I gave the bread to the family and bit back a small sigh of relief when there was no other incident.

Thank the Gods, I silently praised while I dipped my head closer to my chest. Thank the Gods.

Charles furrowed his brows and frowned while he looked me up and down and saw that I didn't look well. Concern filled his eyes before he cleared his throat and shifted on his feet while he studied me. "Are you ok?" he asked and met my gaze. "You look like crap."

I shook my head and walked over to one of the booths in the back. I didn't say a word, and Charles bit back a small scowl when I didn't answer him right off the bat.

"Marini," he said with a soft scowl in his voice. "What happened? Come over here."

"Let me set down my basket," I said, biting back a small snap. "Is Jonah able to talk to me soon?"

"Is it that bad?" Charles asked, and I shot him a scathing look before I set my basket down in one of my normal seats. He bit back a small chuckle and bowed his head, amused. "I guess so."

I didn't respond and held back an eye roll before I walked over to him, not afraid of anyone going through my stuff.

Charles followed me into the kitchen when I entered and cleared his throat. "Now?" he asked and raised an eyebrow. "Are you able to tell me what's going on?"

I sighed and shook my head before I cleared my throat. "I need to talk to Jonah about this first," I said.

Maron stopped cooking something and looked at me. She narrowed her eyes and studied me before she scowled. "What happened?" she asked.

"Again, I need to talk to Jonah about this first," I said. Shilan? I asked, trying to contact my dragon again.

Nothing...

"Can you tell my friend that I am safe?" I asked and raised an eyebrow, talking about my dragon.

Charles furrowed his brows and cocked his head. "What do you mean?" he asked, and I gave him a weird look, not knowing if he was talking about my dragon or something else. "Can't you contact him?"

I bit back a small sigh of relief, grateful that he still remembered my dragon. I shook my head and pursed my lips. "For some reason, I can't. I don't know why, but I know that he is worried about me."

And I am worried about him...

Charles and Maron looked at each other before they looked at me. "What do you mean?" he asked. "What happened?"

I pressed my lips into a thin line before I shrugged. "I don't know," I admitted before I cleared my throat. "I need to talk to Jonah about it first, but all I know is that something happened, and I can't contact him any longer."

"Were you in danger?" Maron asked softly. She stopped cooking and walked over to me, her eyes turning this weird glowy purple color before she was able to control herself and stare at me with her normal brown eyes that were filled with concern. "What happened?"

I hesitated and moved my hand across my skirt, which was still messed up from my fall, and I had a feeling I still had blood on my clothing, especially since the person that I helped had pointed it out. "I need to talk to Jonah about it first," I said. "I'm safe for right now."

I hope...

"Hmph," Maron said and narrowed her eyes softly. She didn't say a word while she studied me, and I stared at her, making sure that my face was blank.

She sighed and held out her hand, and I looked at it before I looked at her, making my face blank. "Give me your hand," she said, calmly, "with your palm up."