Chapter Eighteen

**** "Oh look!" Genny exclaimed, that looks like he's waving at us!"

The excited parents to be soaked up the images of their tiny babies.

"Umm, doc, it's....not my imagination that the one in the back is kind of lethargic, is it?"

"No it isn't. While they both appear to be healthy that little guy probably isn't as strong as the other. That isn't unusual with twins but I'm not going to lie to you, it concerns me."

Just then, there was a definite decrease in the one of the fetal heartbeats. It slowed and then the baby stopped moving entirely.

"Nurse Wallace, call down to the delivery room and tell them we are bringing Genny and the boys down and to get ready for an immediate C-Section."

She and another nurse unlocked the wheels and pulled the bed away from the wall and toward the door.

"Oh God! Nico....the babies!" Genny cried and grabbed her husband's hand. "Don't leave me Nico!"

She looked toward the door and called, "Beau!"

"It's ok," both doctor and Nico said soothingly although he had to use all his professional training to maintain an outward calm when he was just as terrified for their infants and his wife.

As the bed was wheeled out of the room, Beau heard Genny cry out his name and he tossed the coffee cup in the trash and stepped forward immediately. As the bed was whisked down the hall Nico quickly explained the circumstances as the fr gave instructions to the nurses.

He kept pace with the bed, took his sister's hand and began to pray.

"Dear Father, we thank You for the experience and expertise of this wonderful doctor. We ask Father that You guide her hands and watch over this brave, wonderful young woman we love so much and hold these two precious babies in Your loving hands. Bring them into the light and send the breath of life into their tiny bodies. Be with this family Lord and give them Your strength and endurance and let them feel our love as well as Yours. We ask all this in Your precious name. Amen."

He kissed his sister's hand as the elevator doors began to close.

A dozen heart felt, "Amen's," were voiced in the elevator and hallway.

"We're here for you girl! We love you." He called out as his own wife Drina took his hand.

Other members of the family crowded around the doors as well and called out....

"God bless you all!" Drina said.

"It'll be ok, Genny! We love you." Both Ava, and Kaylee yelled in unison. The 18 year olds blew their aunt and uncle a big kiss each.

"Don't worry, honey! Ya got this!"

That was Kyle, (standing in Army Fatigues

That was Kyle, (standing in Army Fatigues.) He had made the long flight from Georgia. (Where he was currently undergoing Army Training.)

"Don't worry, sweetheart. We'll all be waitin'!" Yancey grinned.

"Trust in God's love, baby!" Lillie called out.

At that moment two little blonde girls and a little boy with dark hair squeezed through the throng of people gathered around the elevator. And counted down. Alex, Brittany, and Carlyn, joined hands.

The five year olds all cried out as one. "God bless you, Aunt Genny. We love you."

Beau and Drina smiled down at their children with eyed filled with love and pride.

The doctor winked at the nervous parents, "With all that love and the Good Lord on your side how can you not expect miracles?"

********

The new father kissed his wife's forhead, tears streaming down his face as their first baby boy let lose a tiny but insistent and angey cry. Little Brody told the delivery room occupants his dislike of leaving the warmth of his mother's body.

"Look, baby. He's perfect....so tiny but absolutely perfect." Nico breathed.

The pediatric nurse cooed as she cleaned and prepared the angry little cowboy.

"Here we go," the doctor said as she brought tiny, quiet baby boy #2 into the world. The pediatrician immediately took him and began examining the tiny 3 pound baby boy. He checked the APGAR and was delighted to have higher scores than anticipated.

"Come on sonny boy, you're not going to let your big brother out do are you? Come on little man, breathe for me, cry for me, get mad! Fight! Come on son, fight!" He spoke to the infant while he cleaned and jostled him around, tickled his feet as he checked the heart and lungs.

"Nico," Genny began to cry, "What's wrong? Why isn't he crying?"

Her doctor glanced at her and calmly said, "He couldn't be in better hands mama. Dr Earp is one of the best pediatricians in the state."

"What do you mean 'one of?'" Dr Earp said as the infant began to frown ferociously, raised his tiny fists in the air, opened his mouth and screamed.

"There we go!" Dr Earp said as he lifted his head and laughed in pure joy. "That's a good boy, you chew us all out!"

And he did. Little Riley Beau yelled his displeasure to everyone who would listen. He kicked and screamed, threw his arms around and grew red faced as he threw his first temper tantrum. The entire room full of adults drew a delighted and relieved breath, thanked the Lord and laughed as little Riley screamed his indignation to all who would listen.

Dr. Earp stepped back allowing Riley's pediatric nurse to clean, diaper and dress him in a tiny shirt and little knitted cowboy hat. She wrapped him tightly in a little blue blanket dotted with tiny brown saddles which enraged him even further and placed him in his father's arms.

Genny turned little Brody Nicodemus in her arms so the entire family was close together for their first family photo. One of the nurses took several pictures with the new daddy's cellphone.

Genny crooned at the tiny bundle in her arms. "Look sweetheart, there's your brother and your daddy. Aren't they handsome? Just like you." And kissed his head, he took to nursing right away while Riley quieted and seemed content to look and blink intently into his father's eyes.

Genny  looked at her husband and sons and could not have been happier. The proud daddy bent so Genny could receive a kiss from him and give one to Riley.

 The proud daddy bent so Genny could receive a kiss from him and give one to Riley

Back in the recovery room, Genny waved her sister Kassi  and Gwyn in. Both stood at her side and grinned down at the new little life resting in his mother's arms.