Chapter 8

Link started hyperventilating, his heart beating wildly as his eyelids flew open and he sat up in cold sweat. Darkness surrounded him. He was alone, his kids in another room. He looked to his right only to see the empty spot in his bed. It was neat and looked newly made. A tear rolled down Link's cheek as thoughts flashed in his mind. Memories. Smiles. Laughter.
And now, tears.
Link grabbed his phone. 1:37 am. He put his head on his pillow and closed his eyes but he couldn't sleep. He remembered that episode of Good Mythical Morning. Something about how to fall asleep fast. He remembered how he almost fell asleep in the studio and how Rhett was talking about how he would sleep in the middle of a conversation during a plane ride, his head on Rhett's shoulder.
Then Link understood something, a lightbulb going off in his head. He needed to be close with someone he loved to sleep. And who did he love? Rhett.
Link got up, still in his pajamas and walked groggily down the stairs, careful not to make any noise. He went to the bathroom and splashed cold water on his face before going to his car and driving off to his best friend's house. He messaged Rhett instead of ringing the doorbell in case his wife and kids woke up. A second later his phone buzzed. A message popped up on his screen:
Rhett McLaughlin: Can't sleep too, man. Coming down to open the door. Wait there.
Link stood on Rhett's doorstep until the door clicked and swung open and Rhett smiled at him.
"Hey, buddy." He whispered, smiling, his blonde hair all tousled and messy. He felt warm inside just seeing Link.
Link stepped into Rhett's house, tiptoeing quietly to the guest room where there was an extra bed. The two lay down together. Link grabbed Rhett's face and pulled it closer to his, smiling, their eyes locked. He put his lips to Rhett's and closed his eyes, letting his mind take him to places with Rhett, a nice long holiday in a dream, the sunset against their silhouette, the sand beneath their feet. Then Rhett pulled back and they opened their eyes only to close them again and this time, Link managed to sleep.