Chapter 5

Rhett awoke to his wife calling his name.
He'd almost forgotten about what happened the day before. He threw his legs over the bedside and lazily changed out of his pajamas half asleep, not even realizing that he'd worn his shirt the wrong way round.
He walked down the stairs groggily, his eyelids drooping.
"Hey, honey." Rhett yawned as he greeted his wife.
He sat down to a bowl of cereal. Mini Wheats. Link would love that.
At the thought of Link the memory flowed back to Rhett.
Everything just hit him like that car.
The kiss, the dream, the hug. Everything.
Rhett's eyes immediately opened wide.
He literally drank the cereal and zoomed out of the door to see Link standing next to his car smiling.
"Hey buddy." Rhett grinned as he got into the car, accidentally bumping his head against the roof in the process. Just one of the downsides of being six feet tall.
• • •
They reached the studio in about ten minutes.
The comedy duo got out and walked up the stairs to be greeted by the crew. They sat down and got out their computers and found their research.
"Okay. Start." Rhett gave the signal and the cameras rolled.
"Today we're gonna be discussing about aliens!" Link announced, stressing on the word 'aliens'.
"Let's talk about that." Rhett stroked his beard.
Rhett and Link did the usual stuff, having a good talk, spinning the Wheel of Mythicality and generally having a fun time.
They were in the middle of Good Mythical More when Link's phone rang.
It was Lincoln.
"Hey, what's up?" Link asked, signaling for the cameras to cut.
"Mommy..." Lincoln's voice was unsteady, trembling. He was breathing heavily. He sounded like he was crying.
"What?! What happened?" Link could sense something was wrong.
"Daddy! Come home!" Lincoln's voice was shaky, filled with anxiety and fear.
"O-okay." Link hung up. "Guys... I have an emergency at home, it's my wife. Oh, gosh. I really have to go."
The crew, stunned, nodded. Rhett followed his best friend into the car and Link rushed home, ignoring the speed limit.
When he got home his kids were waiting, their face streaked with tears.
They didn't even greet him and opened the door. His wife was on the sofa, limp and lifeless. She looked like Rhett after Link knocked him down.
Link immediately called the ambulance. They picked her up and connected her to a heart monitor. The line was exactly like Rhett's the day before. Unsteady.
Rhett and Link sat in the ambulance with Link's kids, all with wide eyes, watching the line closely.
It was going fine for about twelve minutes.
And then everyone heard the beep.
The line went flat.