𝔖𝔭𝔢𝔞𝔨 𝔒𝔣 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔇𝔢𝔳𝔦𝔩

Toby froze in his path, looking at the person in front of him. The person was someone Toby immediately recognized—one of his coworkers, Eyeless Jack.

The pale blue mask that dripped black goop from the eye sockets was the dead giveaway. The black hoodie he wore with the bloody bandages wrapped around certain spots was new, though. Though Toby couldn't remember much other than Eyeless Jack's bland tone and bitter attitude, he wasn't sure if he just glossed over it when they occasionally saw each other.

Toby stood still with his hatchet in his left hand. Eyeless Jack was hunched over a dead hiker, and Toby was undeniably relieved that Jack had gotten to the hiker first. Toby slowly backed away from Eyeless Jack. He hoped they wouldn't have to engage in a conversation, but he ended up stepping on a fallen branch, making a loud crack ricochet through the vast number of trees. How cliche...

Eyeless Jack's head snapped in Toby's direction.

"Rogers?" Eyeless Jack questioned, his voice a bit gruff from not speaking in a while.

Toby sighed.

"Yeah, it's me," Toby admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.

This wasn't what he had planned for today. He wants to go home to his girlfriend and future baby to take care of them, not catch up with someone he hasn't seen in months.

"I haven't seen you in a while," Eyeless Jack remarked, zipping up the large baggie that held a few different organs.

"I-I know; I've been busy." Toby said, tucking his free hand in his pocket as he stood awkwardly in Eyeless Jack's heavy gaze.

Toby was reminded that Eyeless Jack was a cannibal. It made him feel a bit sick to think about eating the organs of another human being, even though Toby did chew his fingers and the hole in the side of his face.

"I haven't checked your injuries for a while," Eyeless Jack said, tilting his head ever so slightly to the left.

Toby's eyes widened at that. He felt like he had his mind read by this kind of creepy man. Toby cleared his throat.

"They are taken care of," Toby assured, looking at the bandages that were wrapped around his fingers.

"By who?" Eyeless Jack inquired, tucking the bag of organs into his pocket.

Toby's brain froze. Eyeless Jack knew he couldn't take care of himself. The saliva felt thick in his throat as he tried to come up with a valid excuse, but he knew he couldn't slip a lie past Jack.

"You know," Toby started with a shrug. "I've just been seeing someone," he said sheepishly.

Eyeless Jack seemed to perk up at the fact as he wiped his bloody hands on his hoodie.

"Interesting, now Jeff owes me a kidney," Eyeless Jack muttered. "How long have you been seeing this person?"

Toby looked confused at first. Of course there was a bet involving him—how mature.

"A few weeks" Toby was a bad liar.

"Did you kidnap them?"

"Yeah, a little bit."

Toby slowly became more and more dumbfounded as the small talk continued. Toby ended up rolling his eyes with a scoff in response.

"Okay, whatever, I have to go home," Toby said, swiveling on his foot and heading in the opposite direction.

Eyeless Jack started to follow Toby's path. Jack's presence sent a natural wave of dread over his being.

"Why are you following me?" Toby asked in a rough tone, his head looking back at Eyeless Jack.