𝙴𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝙽𝚎𝚎𝚍𝚜 𝚂𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚘𝚗𝚎

It was three days until winter homecoming. With each day it seemed like there were more couples and breakups as time went on.

Toby stared at the door as people began to filter in for class. He was waiting for one person, and one person only, Y/n. He chewed on his fingers anxiously as others started to take their seats. Something made Toby want her to come back.

Maddie walked into class with a bubbly attitude and with, of course, no notes in hand. Y/n followed behind her with her notebook and pen. When Maddie sat down with a group of jocks, Y/n took the opportunity to sit in the spot next to Toby again.

Toby averted his gaze from her, trying to act like he doesn't care. Which was a lie. He pretended to be busy working by drawing random doodles.

The bell rung and the teacher walked in, holding a thick textbook. The teacher started to ramble about some geometric equation and how to solve it for correct answers. Toby didn't pay attention. He just zoned out with the pencil in his hand.

Y/n scribbled something on a small piece of paper. She glanced around before slipping it onto Toby's desk nonchalantly. Toby slowly looked at the paper before looking at Y/n, who had her eyes on the board. He pulled the paper closer to read it.

The paper said, 'Hi :)' in neat handwriting. Toby looked over once more before writing 'Hey' and setting it back on her desk, suppressing a smile.

Y/n wrote again and placed it back on his desk. 'Are you okay?' It said.

Toby stared at the slip of paper for a good second before writing back,

'I'm fine' He wrote back, fiddiling with his pencil. Y/n glimpsed at Toby before writing something else down.

'Wanna hang out after school?'

Toby raised an eyebrow and thought for a moment. A nervous feeling entered his gut as he read the paper over again. He scribbled a reply in messy handwriting.

'Sure'

Toby slid the note back to Y/n. Y/n smiled and tucked the note into her pocket. Toby looked at the bandages on his hands, reminiscing the gentle touch it took to wrap his arms. Toby's head was stuck in the clouds... So he didn't pay much attention to the teacher for the rest of class.

Toby was almost in a daze. He over analyzed every question and response from Y/n. A thought crashed over him like a wave, the type of thought that made him feel like he was being watched. It was getting worse every day, no matter how much progress he made. There was something out to get him and-

"Hey, Toby" Y/n said, standing next to Toby's desk while waving a hand in from of his face. Toby blinked and looked up at Y/n. "Class is over, it's lunch" she said.

"Oh" Toby mumbled, looking around the empty classroom. He didn't realize how much time he had wasted until now.

Y/n chuckled and gestured for him to come with her. Toby quickly got up and followed her. He wasn't going to let a chance like this go to waste. Toby followed Y/n out the door and through the crowded hallways. Every so often, someone would give him a nasty look or stare as he passed by, but he was used to it by now.

Y/n put in her locker combination and took two paper bags out. Toby stayed close to Y/n so he wouldn't get trampled by other kids. Y/n held a bag up to Toby, offering it to him.

"W-what's this?" He asked quietly, taking the bag and peeking inside. There was a sandwich, some chips, and a cheese stick and a small water.

"I brought you a lunch" Y/n said, closing her locker. Toby was stunned for a moment, looking from the bag and back to Y/n.

"R-Really?" Tobias stuttered, feeling a bit flustered by the sudden gift. Y/n nodded and shut her locker door. A small smile appeared on Toby's face.

"Thank you...." He muttered. Y/n smiled back and started to lead the way towards the Cafeteria. Toby noticed where they were going and he said, "I have a better place we could eat"

Y/n focused her attention on him, "Where? I don't think we're really allowed to eat anywhere else..." She said, holding her own lunch bag at her side. Toby thought over his options for a moment.

"Just come with me" he said quietly, glancing around before starting to walk in the opposite direction. Y/n gave a confused smile, but went with him regardless. Toby went took a few turns down the halls until he made it to the althletic equipment closet.

"Well this looks familiar..." Y/n joked, looking at Toby. Toby held the door for her, letting him inside first before shutting the door. Y/n flipped the light switch to turn on the flickery lightbulb above them. A pale light filled the room and they both sat on the floor across from each other.

"So why do people tease you, again?" Y/n asked, setting her lunch down. Toby took the sandwich out from his bag and took the cling wrap off of it. An awkward feeling settled in his stomach. He wasn't used to being asked such personal things.

"Well... I-I have a lot of disorders... Like Tourrete's and schizophrenia and my CIPA... And a few others" He said shyly, staring at his sandwich before biting into it. It was a good sandwich.... It reminded him that he hasn't eaten in a while.

"People are terrible..." Y/n frowned, looking saddened by how people treat him. Toby shrugged, taking another bite of the sandwich. Silence lingered in the air for a bit before Toby spoke up.

"Who are you going to the homecoming with?" He asked, setting down his sandwich to eat some chips. Y/n took her sandwich from her bag.

"I wasn't planning on going..." Y/n said, looking at Toby. "Why do you ask?" Toby's eyes widened and he shrugged.

"I dunno.. I-I just feel like everyone at school is just always excited for homecoming" He answered quickly, stuffing his face with another bite of sandwich.

"I don't want to go with my friends and I don't want to go with anyone they say I should date" Y/n said, eating some of her food, "I feel like they don't even know me"

Toby nodded in understanding, letting the silence take over them again. He might actually have a sliver of a chance.

After some thoughts, Toby went to say something again. He was interrupted by the jiggle of the door handle. Toby jumped towards the door and locked it before anyone could get in.

"Who is it..?" Y/n whispered. Toby shrugged, his face filled with sudden anxiousness. A voice spoke from the other side of the door, a voice that was terribly familiar...