52. The Iron Peak Range

I go meet the battalion at the third defence line of Lorain, outside the city. A giant line of wall covers across the edge of the mountains, preventing monsters from leaving the region to Lorain. I can see some magic barriers enchanting the defence. Behind the wall are military infrastructures and massive rows of tents erected in place along with poles of the flag of Lorain, a Hammer on a shield with swords behind it.

Exhausted knights resting at every sight complemented by busy workers moving logistics, most are arrows or broken gears. They've been fighting a lasting battle. I can see mages tinkering with some magic defence artifact at the top of the wall.

My squad and I walk through massive crowds of uneasiness to reach a large white tent surrounded by many royal knights. The Darto royal army kingdom's flag is planted beside the tent.

The knights recognise me and let me through. I see my father discussing something with his subordinates around a large table with scattered documents and one big map. Gary's squad, himself, and Mina spread around the spacious tent, listening to my father's conversation. He stops and looks up.
"Loi! Good timing. Come here."

I walk to his side as his subordinates move away to give me some space.

He points at The Iron Peak Range on the map, several red circles, "X" marks, and arrows are drawn.

"The arrows are frequent behaviours of the monsters. Intriguing isn't it, they use tactics but follow a set of rules, assuming that your squad filled you in on the basics. The circles are relatively safe zones with few monsters, and the 'X' are potential locations of their leader. No different species of low intelligence can work together without one."

He grabs my shoulder firmly.

"Now then, I want you to take down the leader, I believe you and your squad have the ability. Gary will be the commander for this operation, you will assist him." My father says.

Visible dissatisfaction shoots from Gary's gaze.

The meeting ends and we leave the tent.

Gary clicks his tongue and glares at me while leaving. "I hope the dead weights don't pull us back." He purposely says out loud. His subordinates snicker at his remark.

Issac and Masoc step forward but I stop them. "Just leave them be."

"But..."

"It's alright," I say and walks the other way.

We prepare ourselves and set out at night. My squad follows behind Gary and travels through a tedious route with the least danger to inspect each possible location for the leader. We encountered some monsters but swiftly took care of the nuisance. The terrain and weather aren't helping either, both squeezing massive stamina from travellers.

Our journey went on for a few hours beneath the dark sky and falling snow.

"Huff huff...let's take a break," Gary says. We rest on a gradual slope. His squad starts gulping splashing water from their leather pouches. They start munching on cold stale food, unable to start a fire in monster territory.

"H-Hey...they don't look...exhausted." One of Gary's retainer comments about my squad.

"Of course...they barely...did anything." the man beside him says.

Issac and Kaden lie on the floor, staring at the stars. Masoc inspects his gears and Aeon...seems to be playing with the snow.

I sit on an even ground. Masoc moves to my side.

"Captain...I don't like that noble."

"Neither do I but he is the commander so..."

"They are the burden here," Masoc says. "When can we act? I want to show them our true strength."

"When they need us. Other than that, don't bother," I say. "If Gary's judgement killed his squad, it's on them for following an incapable leader."

Masoc's expression grows sour but he cannot deny my words.

"Masoc, what's the number one rule of the military?" I ask.

...

"Do only what we are told."

I nod. "If we act out of place, we will suffer."

Masoc turns to me. "But captain, you act out of place many times."

I open my mouth to say something but stop and look away.

...

"Such is the privilege of the strong. They get to bend the rules."

We continue our venture after an hour of rest.

Gary pulls out the map from his pouch. He gazes at the map and back at the mountains ahead of him. Very little vegetation is present in this area and the terrain vaguely turning silver. We are starting to see the iron peaks in the region, implying the presence of dangerous monsters.

Gary sweeps his hand forward and his squad members nod. He leads the team through the steep slopes, slowly stepping on a thin ledge to cross a massive abyss. Looking down sends many of Gary's retainers into fear as the howling breeze of violence pushes through, blowing bits of rocks and land away.

Unlike the people ahead of us, my squad and I effortlessly climb across the slope, digging our fingers and feet into the rocks if no stable footing is found.

"Huff huff..." Gary's arms tremble. His hair blows back from the wind and his vision is blocked by the snow.

"Fuck...I'm sure we are at the right location. Why is there nothing here?" Gary mumbles to himself.

"I feel something," Kaden says, gazing around with his eyes squeezed.

My squad members nod at Kaden's remark.

I look around. Normally one only sees a dark abyss of death below us and a stretching endless slope of mountains around us.

But I can see through the darkness and beyond.

A large hole was carved into the mountain slopes. Inside it...I see something moving.

Suddenly, a red eyeball glows from the dark and locks eye contact with me.

?!

"Shit! It noticed us!" I shout.

Those who heard me gave me looks of confusion but Gary and the people ahead can't catch my voice.

Nature beneath us rumbles, the growl resembling a hungry beast ready to gulp us. The vibration pours clouds of rocks and snow over us and breaks parts of the small ledge.

"AHH!!" A few of Gary's warriors slip from the breaking footing and fall. I manage to grab one by his hand.

"P-Please get me up! Please!!" The man pleads, swinging from left to right.

"ABOVE!!!" Issac screams. A tsunami of avalanche is descending from the peak, disturbed by the tremble.

I throw a glance at Gary. He is frozen in place, pale from fear.

"Hold on!" I tell my squad members.

Amidst the chaos, a giant creature launches itself up through the sea of snow from the abyss. Wielding something of similar size, it throws the weapon at us.

"FUCK! JUMP!!!"

*BOOOOOOOOMM!!!!*

It pierces the mountain, exploding the foundation into meteor snow showers. The incoming force of nature sweeps all with it, sparing nothing.

All I can see is a sea of blinding snow and rock fragments crashing its way to my falling self. Powerless, I can only brace my body for impact.