6. Veteran Hunting

Picking the fifth mission has a second objective: Money. Darto kingdom currency consists of bronze, silver, and gold coins; Nobles possess gold ingots to replace large sums of gold coins.

One hundred bronze coins equate to one silver coin and so do silver coins to gold coins. Having one gold coin worth of wealth can be considered affluent in Darto.

Orcs collect jewellery and antique ornaments in their base. That's my goal.

The east of Piear is a large and dense tropical jungle. Featuring thick roots, towering trees and lush vegetation, humans feel like mere insects entering this complex ecosystem.

We carefully traverse through the unfavourable terrain, adventuring deeper into the woods to avoid the nobles.

"I think we are far enough! It will be too dangerous if we meet a large group of orcs." Aiden shouts amidst hectic galloping sounds.

"That's precisely our goal!"

"What?"

"Why? Are you not confident in taking down orcs?" I turn back and ask.

"I can handle one or two but more than that..."

"Don't worry, you can leave most of the numbers to me!"

"NEIGHHHH!!!" The horses halt their advance and jerk back. They felt something ahead.

I exchange nods with Aiden and we jump down the horse, tying them to a tree with a lead.

"Aiden, jog your memory. What are the weaknesses of orcs?"

"Joints...and uh...speed," Aiden replies.

"Good, strengths?"

"Uh...toughness and power."

"Nice. Follow my lead."

Aiden gulps and nods.

We draw our weapons and sneak ahead through a bundle of vines and bushes.

A muscular green humanoid figure twice the size of us emerges from the shadow. Unruly hair and prominent fangs. The solo orc wields a bloody wooden spear and bodies of wild animals over its shoulder.

"A hunter..." Aiden whispers.

Orcs usually hunt in groups of five. There are more around.

We stay hidden under nature to observe. Two more orcs join the spear wielder, wearing similar gears.

"Aiden, you will finish them off."

"What? Uh okay!"

As one walks closer, I bolt out and slash its knees.

"RARGH?!!"

In the short moment of confusion, I leap to the second orc and cut its tendon at the ankles to a somersault across the dirt.

!

I barely catch a glimpse of a shadow before jumping away.

*BANG!!*

The third orc slammed its fist, erupting an explosion of dirt and mud.

"Grr!!" the orc growls.

However, as the dirt smoke clears up, I jump through it and attack the eyes, slicing a line across the face.

"RARGGHHHHHH!!!" The orc stumbles back and frantically swings the spear around it.

One orc lies dead behind Aiden as he battles with the second orc on its knees. The orc puts up a good defence despite the disadvantage.