31. Moving Forward

Two upgrades to my cultivation talent consumed all two hundred thousand fate I collected. The next upgrade requires a whooping five hundred thousand.

Despite that, I already feel the effects without doing anything. My body gradually collects small bits of mana from the atmosphere. My current capability allows me to travel relatively quickly on my feet.

Further into the forests far from the capital, massive weathered tombstones erect above the gravel, an eerie stillness clings to the air.

Wisps of fog conjure ghostly apparitions, death tickles my skin with every story to every grave. Morja's knowledge pours out; This is demonic mana. Unlike normal mana from nature used by the orthodox, demonic mana is derived from a dying life force. Technically, demonic mana is everywhere with the death of many living things yet too minuscule to use.

If normal mana is smooth and stable, demonic mana is rampant and corrupt. Absorbing demonic mana has no return. Unless I destroy my energy core, I can only improve with demonic mana.

It is fast yet there are no shortcuts in the path of cultivation. Side effects include loss of rationality, thirst for blood, and change of personality. There are more but that's what the current Morja experienced. That's where Morja's innate skill comes into play. He eliminates a weakness using "Calm Mind".

I sit on the cold ground in a meditative position with my instinct warning me. I start absorbing the mysterious mana in the air and a spike of pain shoots through my spiritual roots.

"Ugh..." I grit my teeth.

Normal mana is smooth as water. On the other hand, demonic bounces haphazardly, trying to pierce my physique.

I take a deep breath and my concentration guides the flow of energy. Foreign power continually pounds against my spiritual roots, revolting with vehement protest, every fibre resisting the unwelcome intrusion as if an internal rebellion were underway.

However, with each collision, I aim to shape my spiritual roots, striking energy into my veins like a blacksmith's hammer. The intense suffering, while excruciating, aligns closely with past ordeals, enhancing both my mental fortitude and physical resilience. This is Morja's technique.

*Psssh*

Steam screams from my body, dark veins protruding from head to toe. I take one final breath and open my eyes. My physique rapidly adapts to the change and abnormalities disappear bit by bit.

It's done, my spiritual roots and lower energy core have been refined to take in demonic mana. I don't feel a single difference.

...

"Don't worry, you succeeded. Scrutinise your energy core."

I did as instructed. The shell has formed but it is empty. The demonic mana in the graveyard dissipated through many generations. According to Morja's knowledge, demonic mana will only gather and stay at places with deep resentment and massive mountains of corpses.

The time of ripe is a fresh corpse.

In the depth of darkness, not a single sound was heard, yet I could sense a bright alluring source deep in the forest two hundred metres away. I flick a dagger at the mysterious entity and a boar squeals in its final moments.

Arriving at the corpse, a congregation of demonic mana disperses layer by layer. The absorbed amount yields about five percent of the energy required.

"What...?!" I mumble in shock.

The energy given by the Queen Deathworm was only enough to advance one level. Killing 20 boars equates to a single Queen Deathworm!

I now see the bait for the demonic path. A tasty treat on a silver platter. Talent, background, and money are irrelevant, all can gain strength easily by killing.

My massacre continues through the night as I slaughter animals for energy. Their corpses are sold for a decent amount and meat is stored.

In the morning, I lie in my bed as a radiant warmth pours from the window, staring at the ceiling.

"In a single night..." I say to myself. "I did what a week's worth could."

I smack my face and get up. What's done is done.

My next step is taking the academy's graduation examination. Visiting the archive is on hold until I require a special technique or enlightenment.

I already applied through Sir Kaine and am waiting for confirmation.

My schedule today is empty. I'm tired.

*knock knock*

My mother knocks on my door. "Loi, there is someone here demanding to meet you. She was panting and seemed to be anxious, I think you should see her."

"Hm? Okay," I reply.

The mysterious guest is a young girl possessing glossy, jet-black hair and deep black eyes in the academy uniform. She seems familiar.

She lights up when I appear. "Y-You are Loi, yes? The champion."

I nod. "Who are you?"

"I am Frestz Yuv, Aiden's girlfriend."

Ah I remember, she was Aiden's ex.

"Aiden went into the Labyrinth! Please save him!"

...The Labyrinth is an ancient magical tower extending into unknown dimensions. Challengers can attempt to enter the Labyrinth in a city not too far from the capital. Upon arrival, challengers land on the first level where basic monsters spawn left and right and have to traverse to the end and proceed further up. The higher the level, the stronger the enemies and environment. It is an adventurer's main source of income and a good place to train.

I put out my hand. "Why are you hiding that crumpled letter in her breast pocket?"

"What? This..."

She reluctantly hands me the letter. It reads: "Dearest friend,

First of all, congratulations on your championship victory. I know a person's value isn't determined by strength but I felt so...hopeless watching you. If you are willing to go so far for me, I should too. I will be training in the Labyrinth for some time, I found a trustworthy master during your absence and will strive to improve my strength. I hope we can fight on the battlefield together shortly. Thank you for everything.

Sincerely,
Aiden."

...

Aiden wrote as if he was going to die.

The future changed...Good. To shape the destiny I envision, everything must deviate.

"You read it right? Go save him!" Frestz says.

I raise my brow. "Save him? From what?"

"T-The dangers! Come on! Why are you asking so many questions?"

"You who read the letter without permission have no right to demand me."

"That's...because I'm his girlfriend. It's natural to be worried!"

"I understand but have you considered Aiden's feelings?"

"What? How does that matter when it comes to his safety!"

Fuck...I'm too tired to deal with her right now. In one aspect both Aiden and I share, commitment. I don't think I can or want to stop him.

"So-"

I sigh and rub my eyes. "Shut up, possessive bitch," I say and close the door.

"What?! How could you..."

She starts rambling insults until my mother chases her away.